Cat parathyroid damaged in surgery needs calcium

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Jodiandleiah
New Cat Chatter

Cat parathyroid damaged in surgery needs calcium

Post by Jodiandleiah »

I need advice from anyone who has had a cat with oarathyroid damage, leaving it no longer able to regulate its blood calcium. I have to supplement calcium in my cat and I'm struggling getting him to eat it. On his food, in a treat, in tuna. If he doesn't have the calcium, he won't live. I need advice and suggestions and help if anyone has been through something like this. 🥺
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat parathyroid damaged in surgery needs calcium

Post by fjm »

Does he like Lik-e-Lix? Most cats do, so they can be a good vehicle for medicines. I have also had success with cooked or raw chicken and a little (think small teaspoonful) of raw or cooked liver. The advantage of giving it to him in a small quantity of treat, of course, is that you know he has eaten it all.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat parathyroid damaged in surgery needs calcium

Post by Mollycat »

I haven't come across a cat with this before but humans yes, could you just clarify one thing please - is he just on calcium, is it a combined calcium and vitamin D, does he need one and not the other, or does he take vitamin D on its own and the calcium is the issue?

Is it in tablet or powder form? If you can get it in powder form (or check it's ok to crush a tablet) does that help? My cat is not pillable but so far powders and liquids on her food seem acceptable.