5 year old cat behaviour

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Potter78
New Cat Chatter

5 year old cat behaviour

Post by Potter78 »

Hi we recently got our cat from Cats Protection back in September 2021. His behaviour has been ok up to a few weeks ago. He went missing. We posted it on Facebook and 4 days later he was sighted walking around a caravan park. He was happy to see us that time but it still took some persuasion to get him into the cat carrier. We brought him home, kept him inside so he could recover. One of the next times that he went out, he went straight back to the caravan park. He doesn’t seem to want to come home from there. He will walk around meowing. The last time that he was there, he went into houses and ate cat food and went through the bins. Hes also very interested in female cats and had a large territory. He’s not happy at home as he meows and doesn’t relax easily. He was neutered late which is what why this behaviour is happening. But I feel like there’s something else as well. Any advice would be lovely as we want to make him happy.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: 5 year old cat behaviour

Post by Mollycat »

Sadly it's very difficult to persuade a cat who really likes it better somewhere else. In the past I've lost a cat and gained two that way, and there is one currently camping outside the block of flats where we live who has a perfectly good home with a cat flap, food and friends who has just preferred to sleep under my husband's van all through the winter. We know his name, he has followed me back to his house, he just won't go in.

Do you know much about his history? If he was living as a stray he may not like being indoors much, though some immediately breathe a sigh of relief and settle into a life of comfort. I would be surprised if he is still chasing the ladies, it can take a little while for the hormones to settle, but both my boys were late neutered (one at 3, the other at 9 after retiring from stud life) and once the hormones settled, it was no different than being done earlier.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: 5 year old cat behaviour

Post by fjm »

Given his interest in females I wonder if he could be a rig, with an undescended testicle? Do yiu know the vet who neutered him?