Cat refusing meds and not eating again

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Kate S
Frequent Cat Chatter

Cat refusing meds and not eating again

Post by Kate S »

Susan my cat has hyperthyroidism and lowish CKD. Her meds for hyperthyroidism is still being adjusted and I need to go back in about 6 weeks. The last 4 days she is refusing her meds which I have been disguising in Cosmos treats and pill putty. Had Greenfield pill pockets delivered today and she has refused this. She does eat a bit mostly in the evening but just dry food and her appetite for wet food has been virtually nil for a few days. In the past when she has been like this I tried fresh cooked chicken and fish, but no luck, a liquid stuff that was recommended , no joy with this either. I'm at my wit's end, any suggestions would be great
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat refusing meds and not eating again

Post by fjm »

I have had success with Lick-e-lix, a teaspoonful of chopped raw liver, raw chicken or other meat, or the Felix cat soups. Nothing works for long, but rotating around them might help. Tilly prefers chunks of raw or very rare meat to cooked. Pippin used to have his liquid metacam on extra specially good dry food - the HT drops I simply squirted into the side of his mouth, and then gave him something nice to make it worth while for him. If all else fails you could ask your vet about the transdermal HT medication, which you rub onto the ear.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

There is the option of a special ultra low iodine food, or as fjm says topical applications.

Longer term are you planning to have the surgery or the radioiodine, or stick with the meds? We used the food for the 5 months we were waiting for radioiodine and that was fine but there is only one, made by Hills, in canned pate and dry forms, and it must be fed strictly or it won't work - it worked very well for us even though I wasn't strict but if it's not eaten it's no good at all.
Kate S
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Kate S »

Thanks. We had a bit of luck with Dreamies yesterday, but this morning I put the pill in the putty with Dreamies attached , but she refused. I will get Lik e lix and maybe some mince today to try. She has eaten a bit so I'm a bit more relaxed :)