KD issues?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Animal5house
New Cat Chatter

KD issues?

Post by Animal5house »

Hi

We have two cats brothers possibly be 15 this year.
Both we're told have KD.
Both have been changed to KD diet.
Remus last year had a growth above one eye we had that removed and his teeth cleaned they were needed. Was told them he had KD. But wasn't told to change his food.
This year, now about a month ago Romulus had a check up and rabi shot. We I think did blood work that day, finding out he had KD his numbers a bit higher than his brothers.
Food gets changed out.
Romulus starts to seem off to me.(I'm with the cats pretty much 24/7) then I notice was trying to poop and nothing would come out. This started about a month ago now, and the vet day and a half visit maybe 3 weeks ago now.
It was the weekend so Monday I called the vet got him in ASAP they kept him put in a catheter and IVs flushed him filled him see if he'd pee. It wasn't looking good. He didn't seem to have any blockage his urine was good. Vets had no idea. Then they say his urethra is having spasms, my husband said let's try muscle relaxers, it worked he's peeing been keeping an eye on that.
Then I started to notice he was straining again and pretty sure it's a poop move he's doing but nothing is coming out. Early Sunday morning he got maybe an inch or so long turd out. I've seen him try after with nothing but have seen him pee.
This morning Sunday mid morning he seemed off I gave him his muscle relaxer he drank that up. Then left his spot and went to another window seeing he seemed off I kept checking him. He moved around to be pet and fell over so I scooped him up from the window with one hand under his front arms like any other time, but this was different he meowed and curled up with his head tucking in one paw going straight other bending he was sorta stiff he couldn't stand straight when I had set him down.
He was taking gabapentin and an anti inflammatory so I gave him them he took a nap ate some napped more came up and I took him out he peed we came in and he's eaten a few times.
I'm thinking maybe he's just constipated some. Will be calling the vet in the morning.

He's been up eating and seems ok.

Anyone have anything similar or any thoughts?

Thanks!
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: KD issues?

Post by lilynmitz »

I’m wondering whether there are other medical issues going on, particularly if he is in pain when you lift him, and given his age. You need to be looking beyond KD issues. I’ve had this with several of mine, not identical symptoms to what you describe, but each time further investigations revealed more serious medical conditions that don’t show a clear range of symptoms. It might be worth a scan to see what’s going on. I hope your vet visit goes well.