Injured Cat - Your opinion sort

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
SuttonRider
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Injured Cat - Your opinion sort

Post by SuttonRider »

Bob (the cat) came in last Saturday morning limping, his front right leg seemed to have an injury. I examined his paw for foreign objects, nothing found, I gently felt his entire leg and joints again nothing found and no blood, Bob didn't seem to mind the examination and showed no sign of pain or discomfort. Its now day 3 and no sign of improvement, I have from time to time examined his leg as before, but nothing found. He is not off his food and still likes a fuss and to go out. He is sleeping a little more than usual. I suspect a soft tissue injury.
Would you leave it a while before getting a vet involved? What's your opinion?
Thanks.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Injured Cat - Your opinion sort

Post by Mollycat »

I think I would talk to a vet, who will most likely want you to come in but will at least be able to ask you the right questions. Just one thing, is that paw a little flat-footed when he puts it down? Is he avoiding jumping down or hesitating on landing? A vet can at least identify which joint is the issue. Are his claws frayed or scuffed at all? Anything under the armpit? Small wounds in there can easily escape detection because the skin is so loose.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

If it has been three days without improvement I would definitely see a vet ASAP, if only to get pain relief for Bob and peace of mind for myself.
SuttonRider
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by SuttonRider »

Thanks for all your inputs. I have him booked in at the vets this afternoon. :cry:
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Fingers crossed, let us know how it goes
SuttonRider
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by SuttonRider »

*** UPDATE ***
He has now seen the Vet. It turns out he has a small puncture to the right shoulder (maybe through fighting). Its infected, he's running a temperature and there's now some swelling. He was given Convenia (anti biotic) that should hold him for 2 weeks and some Metacam which he needs to take every day for 2 weeks for pain. The Vet thought that would be all he needs, but he is booked in on Thursday for an X-ray if there is no sign of improvement.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

thanks for updating. That's positive, at least it's being dealt with now and with the metacam he should be much more comfortable soon, hopefully.