oily cat/repeated shocking

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
jasminesparkles
New Cat Chatter

oily cat/repeated shocking

Post by jasminesparkles »

my cat feels extremely oily and repeatedly shocks me with no friction involved. does anyone know why this is happening?
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: oily cat/repeated shocking

Post by Mollycat »

If you mean like an electric shock, stress can cause that.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

It does sound like they are picking up static from somewhere, carpets, clothing, bedding can all create it, particularly if it is made from synthetic fabrics, nylon being almost legendary for it.
However the oily coat doesn't sound quite normal for most cats, so it wouldn't hurt to get them booked into the vets for a quick check up. You can also get pet wipes which might help remove some of the oiliness from them. There are a number available on Amazon, I would just suggest you make sure you get ones that are recommended for cats not just dogs, and are fragrance free, hypoallergenic can also be worth while to ensure your cat has no reaction should they decide to have a wash straight afterwards.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

My puss Lily had an oily coat which we put down to hyperthyroidism resulting in the natural oil glands i her skin working overtime. It did improve once her hyperT was under control. Hyperthyroidism is unusual in cats under 10 years old, so if your cat is this age or above, I would get her checked out by the vet.

Can’t help re the shocking, I've had it with some of my cats in the past, which they found very annoying if it zapped their ears! We seemed to get it most if I’d just got out of the car - I think it must have originated off me, not the cat, as they would have come down the garden to greet me - no sources of static there.