11-12 year old cat rapid breathing

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Junomint
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

11-12 year old cat rapid breathing

Post by Junomint »

I’m new to these types of forums but I’m at such a loss for what to do, hoping to find some answers among fellow cat companions. So my cats a middle aged russian blue who has always been tip top health when about 8 weeks ago he started dry heaving on a weekly basis, id assumed it was a hair ball that wasnt passing and tried suitable remedies to no avail, fast forward to about 4 weeks ago and I notice he’s breathing super rapidly and I can see his abdomen moving with each breath which is dramatic for him- took him to the vet asap. Blood work was clean, xrays showed mild inflammation in the lungs but nothing else. He was given a dose of antibiotics in case of infection, a shot of steroids, panacur to take home (in case of lung worm) and a prescription for 5mgs prednisone daily. His symptoms to this day have not improved. Ive tried giving him allergy treatments (ive had about 3 telephone appts with the vet to make sure these were acceptable) and nothing. Albuterol-did nothing; prednisone- nothing; singulair (its an anti leukotriene like benadryl for the lungs)-nothing, panacur-nothing. Im at a total loss, Im running thru the allergy routine but can find no reasonable causes. If anyone has had a similar situation please id love any information or experience, im trying to play sherlock holmes to solve this mystery but im failing clearly and im not prepared to lose him.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: 11-12 year old cat rapid breathing

Post by Mollycat »

Has your vet talked about his heart at all?
Junomint
New Cat Chatter

Post by Junomint »

He has not but when I asked how his heart appeared on xray he said he didnt see anything but inflammation in the lungs and the blood test supposedly tested for hormonal indicators of heart failure. Only info I got about the blood work was « everything looks perfect »
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by mr_frisky »

Is the rapid breathing constant or episodic?