Sick kitten help

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
teach8870
New Cat Chatter

Sick kitten help

Post by teach8870 »

Hello everyone. My partner works at an animal shelter, and they had a litter of sick kittens. The kittens are about 3-4 weeks old and had some respiratory issue. The vet gave them antibiotics, and 2 of the kittens are doing just fine. The third kitten is in really bad shape, so my partner brought him home to feed because the kitten wasn't eating for its mother.

He is currently only 5.6 grams!
His eyes are closed (probably due to his sickness)
His nose is runny and his little nose holes get crusted over.
The vet can't do anything else, and my partner will euthanize if he doesn't bounce back. She said she thinks there's a chance he can make it because he is breathing good, has a strong heart beat, and his gums are really pink.

So we have had him at home for 2 days now, and I want to make sure we are doing everything properly. So please give any advice you can!

We are waking him to feed him every hour and are feeding .3ml - .6 mls of Nutrivet milk replacement. We also use Pedialyte to mix the KMR. We basically feed him with a syringe by just squeezing a small amount into his mouth at a time. He has no desire to eat on his own.

We also take him into the bathroom and steam up the room. We stay in there for about 20-30 mins a couple times a day.

He is in a small crate on a heating pad set on low setting. The heating pad is wrapped in a small blanket, and a towel is covering 3 of the 4 sides of the crate to prevent drafts.

He is so small and weak. He can hold his head up some and stand up on his front legs. He moves himself around in the crate sometimes also. He has pooped twice. It was mostly solid but very sticky poop.

Am I feeding enough? At the right increments? Anything else I can do to help him?