Kittens stuck in womb

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
nyan
New Cat Chatter

Kittens stuck in womb

Post by nyan »

Hi. I am in prison in the tropics and we got a lot of stray cats. Two come into my cage every day and I feed them scraps, canned fish and chicken bones.

The female seems to of been pregnant forever. It was her whole stomach but now there is a bulge in only one half. I am guessing that some kittens never got born and may be stuck inside.

If this is the case, is there anything we can do? She doesn't bseem to be in pain, yet.

Thanks 🙏 n advance for help
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Kittens stuck in womb

Post by fjm »

Firstly, cooked chicken bones are dangerous and not a good idea. They can break up into sharp shards when chewed, and these can cause serious internal damage, peritonitis and death. Raw bones are safe, or strip off all the meat and edible bits from the cooked ones for the cats and dispose of the bones safely.

Cats are pregnant for 9 weeks, and it tends to show for the last 4 weeks or so. Is it possible that she visited you part way through giving birth? It is not unusual for cats to take a break for 24 or even 36 hours. If there is a kitten stuck and blocking the birth of the rest of the litter I think only a vet can really help, but if the cat is relaxed and eating normally, and the cause of the bulge is kittens, then I would suspect she is just taking a break. There could, of course, be a different reason for the bulge, but again it would take a vet to diagnose it.