help please for my moms 21 year old cat . . So sad

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

help please for my moms 21 year old cat . . So sad

Post by JulieandBarney »

I wonder if anyone could give me some urgent advice please . . Just a bit of background , my mom is 79 and has lung cancer Molly, who is now 21 years old, Molly was in the vets for 3 nights on a drip as she could not pas motion at all and hardly ate, she came home and eats very little and just sleeps all day on the bed and passes little motion now and then, but not much, mom has said that it would be kinder to put her to sleep as she has little quality of life.. . .is there anything anyone could suggest to give Molly to help her motions or share your thoughts regarding putting the poor old girl out of her misery . . Mom is torn in two . . Any thoughts from you lovely people would be really welcome, it upset me to see it today . . X
Last edited by JulieandBarney on Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: help please for my moms 21 year old cat . . So sad

Post by Jacks »

To be honest if she's not eating a lot she probably doesn't need to pass a motion as often - her little system is slowing down. However she obviously needs fluid and nutrition.

Can you have a word with the vet on your parent's behalf and explain how much Molly is needed and ask if there are any supplements he could recommend? I know there's a paste called Katalax which eases 'transit' and has a slightly laxative effect, but the lick-e-lix sachets, which are low fat. high in vitamins and minerals, tend to keep motions soft, especially if they have more than one a day. These might be helpful? Webbox do chicken or salmon, and Miamor do a malt one or a vitamin one.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

this is very sad - Molly isn't going to be around much longer, even if she gets over her current problems

will your Dad take to another cat quite quickly? if so, I should start looking for a suitable older puss now, so you can get him involved as soon after Molly's passing as he will be able to cope with
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thanks Jackie and Kay, currently mom take care of 2 feral cats who live in the little outhouse outside, they arrived together one day about 2 years ago and never went away. They are fed and have their own beds in the shed so are well cared for, however, they do not like human contact and are typically feral, dad loved to sit watching them . In 2 years they have grown to become very healthy big cats, mom arranged to cat rescue to trap them and get them spayed and checked out when they first arrived.

I feel for Molly as she just sleeps her life away and hardly moves and I hate to think of her in discomfort, the vet has done as much as he can, she had an enema a couple of weeks ago and rehydrated on a drip.

I will try what you have recommended and send to mom i live quite a distance from my parents, hence why I probably notice more the decline of little Molly.

Thank you all for taking the time to read my ramblings. .!. . X
Last edited by JulieandBarney on Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

What a terrible situation and dilemma you find yourself in.

I can't really add to the good advice that you have been given. But please know that you, your mum and dad and little Molly are all in my thoughts today.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Have they done bloods in case there is something like kidney issues that are causing her to not toilet much? It is tricky getting people to accept, but at least Molly doesn't seem like she is in pain or uncomfortable, and as Jacks said, if not much is going in, there isn't much to come out, and oldies do sleep a lot
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Bobby's girl thank you so much for your kind thoughts, it means a lot...

Book tigger, yes, bloods were taken and nothing showing any other issues, other than old age. My main worry is that with her hardly eating any food she will literally just starve herself to death. . And I feel that this would be a cruel way for her to go, It's just sad all round. . .
Last edited by JulieandBarney on Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by hgale »

I'm sorry I can't really offer any more advice, but I'm thinking of you Julie.

Oldies do sleep a lot, as Kitten and Mischa were elderly, its been quite a challenge adapting to Denver, who always wants to be outside most of the time!

I hope Molly is eating again soon.

Helen
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Oh Julie, that's a rotten situation, and no easy way out - I'm so sorry.

As long as your vet doesn't think that Molly is suffering in any way, then don't beat yourself up too much. Oldies do sleep a lot, and their appetites do shrink as they get older. My old Minnie is 19 and will eat very little at one sitting, though I do keep offering small amounts of food to her throughout the day. She will still go for ham or slices of cooked chicken, and at her age I don't care if it's ideal nutritionally - when she's off her food I just try to get anything down her. My old Giddy was much the same.

I wish I could me of help. xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Crewella and Helen you have both really helped, please don't think otherwise, I have posted mom some anti fur ball paste, some lick e lix and some royal canin intense furball to try, it's what helped Barney when he was suffering . . . Without the help and advice from people such as you, heaven knows how I would cope . . Thank you all so much. . . .x
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

Hi Julie,
I have no more advise to give as I think that the other posters have given the best possible. However, my thoughts are with you, your family and Molly.
Best wishes and ((hugs)) and a gentle fuss for Molly.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: 21 year old Molly gone to the bridge parents devastated

Post by JulieandBarney »

Please all you lovely people say a prayer for little Molly who was pts sleep this evening and making her way to the bridge . . . My parents are devastated . . . A 21 year old girl who just gave up the fight . . . Nite nite little Molly and thank you for looking after my poor. Dad in his dementia . . You rescued him bless you x x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Oh Julie I'm so very sorry. It's a grand old age, and I know you were expecting it to come soon, but that doesn't make it hurt any less, and it doesn't help your poor dad. Wish I could say something to help. (((hugs)))

RIP lovely Molly puss. xx
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Julie I'm so very sorry to hear this. Looks like Molly just couldn't regain her strength. You did all you possibly could. Thinking of you x x
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thank you carol . . It's broke our hearts . . For many reasons x
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thank you crewella . . . It's been a truly terrible time all round . . Poor Molly had no fight left in her body she gave up . . X
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

So sad, RIP sweet Molly. Thinking about you and your mum and dad, especially your dad.

God bless xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thank you Bobby's girl . . It was so hard tonight to hear my dad keep saying " I've lost my little baby"it.was heartbreaking . . She kept his spirits up and slept with him for the last ten years . .she was his life as he grew worse he adored her and used to sit talking to her for hours at a time in the bedroom. . So sad . . Heaven knows what will happen now . . I feel so worried . . . He is inconsolable . .x
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Dear Julie, I am so very sorry. Darling little Molly. She was a great age, as others have said, but with everything else going on, that's not much consolation. She offered consistency and familiarity to your dad and it will be very hard for him to understand way she had to leave him now. Big hugs to you all, and thoughts for sweet Molly as she look down on her daddy from the RB. I'm sure she and CC are happy to meet each other. ((hugs))
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by hgale »

I'm so sorry Julie, I'm thinking of you and your dad at this sad time.

Play well at Rainbow Bridge dear Molly, my Kitten and Mischa will be there with you. And a {hug} to you and your dad, Julie.

Helen
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thank you Helen and Sarah it's been a terrible time as Molly was just wasting away in front of moms eyes . . . Without people like you all on here I would have not been able to get the support I have . . I can't thank you enough, bless you xx
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Shelly and Dora »

Oh Julie I've just caught up with this. I'm so sorry. What a difficult time for you, mum & dad. How hard it must be for you and your mum to not only deal with Molly's passing, but to also try to console your dad. I genuinely feel for you & wish there was something I could do to help.

RIP little girl. Safe journey xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Shelley, thank you so much, just your kind words give me comfort, so believe me you Do help I've been wanting to post on Dora's dashing thread as it's a lovely supportive thread full of truly lovely people, but with all that's happening, I am finding it hard to do so . . Please give Dora a kiss from me and a giant head but from big old Barney. . . . Hope cc is looking out for Molly at the bridge along with all the others . . . Xx
Helen
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Helen »

Julie I'm so sorry to hear your story which i only just caught up with but really touched me. Send love and hugs to you and your family and know that she is not struggling now x
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thank you Helen . . . Molly was taken in by mom and dad 21 years ago when a neighbour left her as a kitten behind alone when they moved . . She was immediately taken in by mom and dad who gave her a lovely life and doted on her . . Dad focused on her so much since his dementia that in her last years she only responded to him generally . . Last time I saw her she hardly had the strength to lift her head . . She just slept constantly . . . She gave my dad a reason to carry on and I will always remember her for that . . . And if anyone in the future ever says that "she was just a cat . . " then I will probably lose it completely . . She was more than that . . Especially to my dad who connected so much to her . . I truly believe that she helped him with his Alzheimer's when no doctor could . . . X
Helen
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Helen »

I think many people completely underestimate the therapeutic power of all animals. I believe they are so much more finely tuned into their humans than any other human could be. It is a heart warming story and I always believe that the only way we could avoid the grief you and your family are experiencing right now would have been never to have known them and how awful would that have been. She was loved and loved in return xxx