Adopted elderly cat not eating for 24 hours

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
ConnorRobinson
New Cat Chatter

Adopted elderly cat not eating for 24 hours

Post by ConnorRobinson »

Good afternoon everyone and thanks in advance for any advice,

I’ve adopted an elderly cat of 17 years young two days ago from a foster family (who I’m unfortunately unable to get hold of at the minute),

She’s got Arthritis and Nasal Polyps as listed conditions

She’s not an aggressive cat at all.

She’s had a really rough time of it the last few years and was living in a litter box in a shed and someone kicked her in the face, resulting in the loss of most teeth (how anyone could do such a thing makes me so angry)

She then spent three months with the foster family, which I observed to be a lovely home with a very caring foster lady

When she first arrived here there was initially a couple of hours where she hid under the bed scared but after that she came straight out and settled right in on the first night, sitting on my lap and everything.

Importantly, she was eating absolutely fine on arrival until the following morning (yesterday)

She also ate snacks during the early afternoon.

Come dinner time yesterday she’s completely ignoring her food which I didn’t think too much of until she was also throwing up spit (not actual vomit) yesterday evening but she was still happy to sit on my lap last night

I went to sleep last night and woke up this morning and she still hadn’t eaten, so I changed the food this morning and she’s still not eaten that either (it’s now 21 hours, not 24 hours yet but I’m worried and Thought better to ask here before it got too late)

The food I bought was Purina Gourmet Chicken as wanted to treat her for the first few weeks of settling in but I’ve also tried feeding her from a different Purina cat food this morning to no avail

I’m mostly worried because initially she was fine eating but now nothing at all.
I’ve given her tiny treats today of which she ate 3 pieces but they’re the smallest treats ever ( 2 Calories each)

And today she’s sitting depressed all day on her mat facing away from me(she’s not hiding away though, just sitting on her mat)

I hope I’m being over the top and she’s not actually depressed but I’m almost in tears looking at her as I can just sense in the atmosphere shes unhappy today. When I came back from the shopping two hours ago she didn’t even Meow like she has done every other time I’ve come into the room since she arrived.

She’s drinking water absolutely fine, she’s got a water fountain here and she has no problem drinking, only eating

I don’t know what to do or whether this is serious-
At which point does anyone think it becomes time to panic I’m wondering.

Thanks so much again in advance and any questions or help are much appreciated.

Her names Kathy
Last edited by ConnorRobinson on Wed May 25, 2022 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Adopted elderly cat not eating for 24 hours

Post by Mollycat »

Welcome and first of all huge love to you for taking on an old lady to make the time she has left the best time of her life.

The spit, I take it you mean white foam? Or is it clear sticky liquid? It's quite normal for a cat to eat nothing or very little at first due to the upheaval and stress of a new place and new people, but you're right to be watchful as they can become ill surprisingly quickly.

What did you feed her when she first arrived, that she ate? To avoid too much change all at once, rather than treat her, it might be better to keep her on the same food she had before. Or you could boil up a little chicken and offer it to her with some of the cooled water.

Is she registered with a vet yet?
ConnorRobinson
New Cat Chatter

Post by ConnorRobinson »

Thanks so much for the quick reply,

Yes white foam would be the perfect description, that’s exactly what it is.

When she arrived I was feeding her the same as I’m trying now, and the foster lady said her favourite food that she prefers is wet cat food chicken, which seems to be exactly the same as what I’m trying now.

I’m glad to hear that it’s quite normal I really am, the main worry is just due to there being no issues within the first 24 hours. If this had been an issue since the very beginning I wouldn’t worry so much.

Thanks for the boiled chicken suggestion, I’m going to go back to the shop and get some to boil this afternoon, it’s most certainly worth a try.

Yes she’s registered with a local vet already which I organised whilst still at the foster house. This is going to be my very next port of call if there’s no improvement by tommorow
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

I think I'd give them a call before that, just to be on the safe side and to prevent a more urgent situation. Not necessarily to take her in, but it is odd for her to have seemed settled then stopped eating and be hunched up with her back to you. It suggests she might be uncomfortable and a vet would ask all the right questions. But if you can get hold of the foster lady she might be able to shed some light for you as well.
ConnorRobinson
New Cat Chatter

Post by ConnorRobinson »

I think you’re right and that’s the best idea, to call them pre-emptively today. They’re open for another 4 hours (I’m in the U.K.); so my current plan now is to attempt the boiled chicken and if that doesn’t work I’ll contact the vet making sure there’s good time to spare before they close

Thanks again, will post once I know what’s happening. Appreciate how quick of a response, I really do.
ConnorRobinson
New Cat Chatter

Post by ConnorRobinson »

Good afternoon, just wanted to give an update and say thanks again for the speedy response at a point in which I wasn’t sure what to do,

Kathy Cat was back on her food at 4:15pm exactly, eating a full meal and was even asking for another late in the evening (which of course I obliged)

This morning went perfectly too.

In all honesty I think I was over tired yesterday which had played a part in my panicking so much. I hadn’t slept much for the two nights prior.

Thanks so much again, will be reading this forum a lot from now on to learn as much as I can.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Brilliant news, and thank you for the happy update.