Gabapentin 25mg from online pharmacy?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Julia B
Returning Cat Chatter

Gabapentin 25mg from online pharmacy?

Post by Julia B »

Does anyone know of an online vet pharmacy (UK based) that sells Gabapentin tablets in 25mg for cats please. The only ones I can find only do 100mg or higher.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Gabapentin 25mg from online pharmacy?

Post by Mollycat »

I've never bought a prescription only item online but have you tried phoning them to ask if they have it?
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

In the UK Gabapentin is a human POM - prescription only medicine - and unless there is a version licensed for veterinary use online veterinary drug sites are therefore not allowed to list it. Animed or similar sites may have the smaller dose but not show it on their website - they suggest that once you have a prescription from your vet you phone to ask, as Mollycat says.
https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/human-me ... gLeZ_D_BwE
Julia B
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Julia B »

Thanks Mollycat and fjm for your responses.

I had seen that it was a human prescription and that sites weren't allowed to list it when searching online and this is making it quite tricky to find. I had phoned a few places (one I waited over 20 minutes to get through and they still didn't pick up!) and the ones that I have spoken to only do 100mg or higher. This is why I was hoping that someone knew of somewhere that definitely had them.
Julia B
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Julia B »

Meant to add that I just phoned Animeddirect and they only do 100mg as well :( . The search continues...
susand
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by susand »

It may be that only 100 mg tablets are available. I had a cat on prednisone who had to take half a tablet every other day. PLEASE DISCUSS WITH YOUR VET as I don’t know if it is ok to to this with gabapentin, but if you gave your cat half a 100mg tablet every other day, this would equate to 25mg every day over the course of a week.

Also, if the tablets are quite large you could split each one into 4 and give your cat a quarter each day. They sell tablet splitters in pharmacies which would enable you to do that quite easily.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Is it really so horribly expensive that you can't afford it from your vet? I know my Molly's potassium supplement is half price direct from the manufacturer, but if I added back in the price of getting a script from my vet there would be no advantage at all.
Julia B
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Julia B »

Susand: My cat is currently on 3 tablets a day which I've got from the vet so they do definitely come in that size. The vets don't know where to go online but I will see what they say about cutting the pills into quarters. Could be a good idea.

Mollycat: My cat is also on Loxicom and could be on both meds long term so the cheaper I can get them the better. The Loxicom is considerably cheaper even with the prescription charge and adding the gabapentin to the prescription doesn't add much more. He'll also need blood tests every six months due to being on the meds so I do want to try and make cost savings where I can.

I'm just really hoping that someone that reads this forum is ordering them from somewhere!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

The two I've used are Viovet and Petdrugsonline. Both have phone numbers on their websites and have bene very helpful any time I've had questions. Also Chemeyes might be worth a try, I don't know if they do those kind of drugs but worth an ask.

The Gabapentin we were given from the vet for Molly once was capsules to sprinkle on her food. Also available in liquid form. Either of those any good?
Julia B
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Julia B »

Thanks Mollycat, I’ve tried petdrugsonline but I’ll give the other two a try tomorrow.

I’ve seen the liquid online and it seems super expensive although might be a different dose so I’ll speak with vet about that. Sprinkling capsule on food could work which also gives me the option of getting higher dose ones and measuring it myself like susand suggested earlier.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

The liquid version is mega expensive, Lucy has that as she doesn't like the tablets, a bottle costs me £107, it's supposed to be used within x months, but I use it till it runs out, or I'd be throwing £50 away, as unfortunately it only comes in one size bottle and I did try looking into ordering that online last year, but it wasn't possible, as it's a special compounding type place that make it. She has .5ml of liquid, which equates to 50mg, so she would have half a capsule, if you get those, I'm sure it would be easy to quarter, I halve it and that is relatively easy, when a friend looked after her last year, she just opened it on a saucer and used a knife to divide it in 2. They were also really cheap, think I paid £6 for 10, which was obviously 20 days worth last year, as there was a delay in the liquid.

Out of curiosity, how come your cat is on both Gabapentin and Loxicom?
Julia B
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Julia B »

I think I may have to go down the route of cutting up tablets :)

We don't really know what's up with him at the moment although the vet suspects it could be something spinal. He's got very weak back legs which I think deteriorated over a period of time although we only noticed when it became obvious - before that we thought he was being a bit lazy as he's obviously restricting the amount he's moving about! His back legs give way when he's jumping down from things and also a bit when he's running. He can jump up pretty well but not that high. He's only one year old so won't be arthritis and the vets don't think it's a tumour. Maybe he injured himself at some point but there was never a time when he came back obviously limping. He's had x-rays and bloods and all looking very healthy so far but he's going for CT scans next week so hopefully that will show what the problem is!

So in short, he's on both as I think gabapentin is good for neuro type pain and loxicom as an anti-inflammatory.
susand
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by susand »

If the tablets turn out to be too small to be cut into 4 easily, another option is buying a tablet crusher (I have a combined tablet splitter and crusher in one). The resulting powder can then be divided into 4 roughly equal amounts and then each wrapped in a little bit of tinfoil for storage. I had to do that with some tablets once. I kept the foil wraps in a little box. I’m sure they would have looked very suspicious to anyone that came across them but luckily I never got raided by the drugs squad! - Can you imagine? “I assure you Officer, it’s not mine, it’s for my cat!” They’d think I was tripping :lol:
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

No worse than smoking catnip ... oops, shush!
susand
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by susand »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by mr_frisky »

I have a pill crusher that has a slicer on the other side. Got it from Boots, and use it for cats' medication.