3 month old kitten loose stools with blood

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
lennyscomb
New Cat Chatter

3 month old kitten loose stools with blood

Post by lennyscomb »

2 weeks ago we received a new 3 month old bengal kitten from a good breeder (this is our second cat from that breeder). Breeder had dewormed and vaccinated our new kitten.

Things were ok the first week and although we realized we had been feeding a different wet food than the breeder was feeding her (Merrick kitten wet food vs Royal Canin kitten wet food breeder used). The Merrick food was the same kitten food used on our first cat so we mistakenly assumed it was the same.

Our kitten has been pretty active and eating well. Poops in the litter box seemed a bit large and maybe a bit soft,

Last Sunday, a week ago, I happened to hear a rather wet poop and when I went to the litter box I noticed a drop of blood. Looking for the stool a I found a solid/mushy mix of stool with a few specs of blood.

Breeder reports this was not a problem before kitten left and hasn’t been a problem with her cats before.

Off to the vet. Vet said this breed gets gastro issues but wasn’t worried as she wasn’t sensitive in her abdomin and she was pretty active along with eating and drinking normally. He felt she was too small to perform a rectal exam. He diagnosed her as having colitis and prescribed Fortiflora and said he didn’t think it wasn’t worth changing diet at this time. He also took a stool sample to test.

Haven’t heard back from vet yet on stool test.

Her poops have increased to about two a day, still in litter box, and initially there was no more blood with still formed but loose stools. But as the week has progressed her stools have gotten looser and less formed and the last two days there has been small specs of blood in the morning.

Will follow up with vet but wondering if anyone here has had this kind of experience with such a young cat. Also any thoughts on transitioning her back to her previous food or shifting her to a more gastro food?
Umtum
New Cat Chatter

Re: 3 month old kitten loose stools with blood

Post by Umtum »

Did you ever find the solution to this problem? My cat has this issue as well and can’t figure what the problem is.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: 3 month old kitten loose stools with blood

Post by Mollycat »

There seems to be a particularly nasty bug doing the rounds, mainly dogs, but I was up most of the night earlier this week with my cat feeling very sorry for herself, 4 liquid and extremely stinky poops and 24 hours of no pees, after a long time off her food. Our dog has been on chicken and rice or expensive gastric food for two weeks now, keeps getting better and worse again. Other dogs have been hospitalised and diagnosed as viral, and one dog has died. So far I'm not hearing of poorly cats here but be aware this is a possibility, there is something about.