Trying to intro rescue cat to my 2 other cats, not going well

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
LadyV
New Cat Chatter

Trying to intro rescue cat to my 2 other cats, not going well

Post by LadyV »

Hi all. I'm looking for some help and advice. Sorry if this post is long.

I adopted a rescue cat, Honey, just before Christmas and she still isnt getting on with my 2 current cats Thomas and Pepper, and Im at the end of my tether with it all.

I keep having to reintroduce her to my other 2 as things keep going wrong. First she caused my other 2 to fall out very badly and they would fight on sight because of her (redirected aggression), it took me 1 month to reintroduce them and get them back to where they were.

I then tried slowly having her round one cat at a time and she tolerated Thomas until he became cheeky and I removed him from the situation. I then tried Pepper and all was going ok until they accidentally came face to face and had a fight. I waited a few weeks and tried again but Pepper chased Honey and they had another fight. Honey is now scared of both of them. Im using the baby gate method and letting her see them at a distance - no contact but she hisses and goes out of sight from both of them. Neither Thomas or Pepper show any aggression through the baby gate but it seems Honey has no interest in getting to know either of them which is a huge problem.

I currently live in a large house where half the house can be shut off so she has free roam for part of the day away from the cats but we are having to move very very soon (maybe 1.5 - 2 weeks) and I fear this isnt going to be sorted by the time we move. I didnt want Thomas and Pepper making the house their own without her, I wanted it all to be equal for them.

I just dont know what to do, she wont have treats near them for positive reinforcement. She does sometimes sit on the window sill in view of them but she mainly looks out the window ignoring them. I feel there is no progress at all and shes been with us for 5 months now which is far too long to not be part of the family properly.

Has anyone had a similar situation and can offer advice? Ive tried pheromone plug ins also with no luck. Thank you x
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Trying to intro rescue cat to my 2 other cats, not going well

Post by Mollycat »

It sounds like you've been under pressure to make it happen by a deadline and tried to rush it. They shouldn't be allowed to see each other until they are all completely comfortable every day for a week either side of a closed door, for instance. And in the end some cats just will not live with others and can't be persuaded no matter what.

In one way moving gives you the opportunity to help the process. Why give Thomas and Pepper full run of the new house first? Why not put them in one room, Honey in another, and then they all start off equal, except that Honey hasn't had a chance to get comfortable with the humans. This is your chance to redress the balance and as long as you take it slowly enough, if it still doesn't work out, maybe Honey just isn't meant to be.
LadyV
New Cat Chatter

Re: Trying to intro rescue cat to my 2 other cats, not going well

Post by LadyV »

Thanks Mollycat

Honey did play with Thomas under the door as there was a gap he could stick his arm under and she used to enjoy batting it so they were fine with each other with a door in between.

I guess putting Thomas and Pepper away is an idea. I didnt consider it because they are carpet scratchers if they are shut in and its not my house I will be renting and Honey doesnt scratch anything other than my curtains lol but thats a good point, thank you