Cat won’t come out of hiding!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Lorimcsporry
Returning Cat Chatter

Cat won’t come out of hiding!

Post by Lorimcsporry »

Hi, wonder if anyone can advise please? I’m looking after a friends cat while their on holiday, he’s hiding in a cupboard that we struggle to access. I’m not sure what the best plan of action is. Is been almost 48 hrs. I’ve been putting milk/water in which he’s been taking but he’s not really ate and he’s not peed. Getting a bit concerned about him😬
susand
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat won’t come out of hiding!

Post by susand »

Is he in his own home or yours?
Lorimcsporry
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Lorimcsporry »

He’s in mine so totally strange to him. I’m just not sure wether to put food in for him or not as I don’t want to encourage him to hide but don’t want him dehydrating. He’s not peed since he got here 2 days ago😬
susand
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by susand »

Well, I’d say needs must and put food in there. And his litter tray if it will fit. If he doesn’t eat today he probably needs a vet visit as cats can’t go for long without food without developing liver problems which can be fatal if not treated.

Also, try and keep the room the cupboard is in quiet and empty by closing the door. If you have other animals or children, keep them out. This hopefully will encourage him to come out from the cupboard at least and extend his ‘safe place’ to a larger area.

How long is he going to be staying with you?
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Put everything he needs as near to the cupboard as you reasonably can but food water and litter not too close to each other. Then leave him alone. Keep your home as quiet as possible, minimise the times you have to walk past and when you do, do it softly, slowly and gently, talk to him in a soft up-beat voice to signal your presence but reassure that you mean no harm. Not peeing is a concern but give him plenty of space and he will more than likely come out when there is nobody there, or everyone is asleep. Oh and try not to be anxious, he will pick up the vibe and that will keep him firmly in hiding thinking there is something to be worried about.

Do you have any pets of your own, or small children?
Lorimcsporry
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Lorimcsporry »

Thank you both for your help. We have progress this morning😁 he’s out as I type having a drink, took a slice of ham off me earlier too and has been out through the night and ate/drank.
He’s let us pet him a little too.
I got him feliway spray which I’d used before, not sure if that’s helped or not
The cupboard he chose is below the sink and beside the washing machine so it’s difficult to keep quiet though the house is generally quiet with no kids or other pets.
My only concern now is I don’t think he’s peed and seems reluctant to use his tray, he pood on his mums dressing gown 🙈🤣 (revenge I think) I put the poo into his tray for a bit and put the tray where went??
Much appreciate youse taking the time to reply x
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Some good news then but the lack of pee gets a bit more concerning. Are you certain he hasn't peed in a corner somewhere? If he will let you comfortably, you can check for signs of dehydration, that would suggest he hasn't peed because he hasn't drunk and they can seat from their pads if they are nervous.

However like us not peeing isn't good, can you contact his owner to ask their advice on him not peeing, and when to talk to a vet?