Help! Poorly cat advice needed

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
catlover1983
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: Help! Poorly cat advice needed

Post by catlover1983 »

Hi,

Just to update you on Arthur’s progress. He’s still pulling out his fur (no change there) but is eating well.

He had his checkup at the vets tonight after 2 weeks on antibiotics. He’s actually out on weight (was a good weight to start with too!) and the ulcer under his tongue looks much better.

He still has a bit of a watery eye and some signs of stiff joints, but he now also has these raised red patches on the top of his tongue on the same side as the ulcer.

The vet believes granuloma (but could still be a tumour) and wanted to give more steroids. I expressed concern at this as it seemed to cause a cat flu flare /worsening.

She’d like to do a biopsy to see if it’s is cancer or a granuloma and if it’s a granuloma will look into alternative immunotherapy treatment.

I totally see where she’s coming from to find out what it actually is, I’m just concerned about him undergoing a general anaesthetic when already poorly and how he’ll cope with having a piece of his tongue cut out and stitches for two weeks when he already has a sore tongue?

Does anyone have any experience of tongue biopsies on cats? How did your cat tolerate a GA if already ill? Is there anything else I should be pushing for/considering?

Any thoughts would be welcome!

Thanks xxxx
susand
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Help! Poorly cat advice neede

Post by susand »

Well, his tongue is going to stay sore and possibly get worse without treatment so I don’t see the logic in avoiding a biopsy because it will cause a sore tongue. Also, the vet’s in a bind because he/she can’t be sure of the correct treatment if he/she doesn’t know what’s going on. She/he can blindly throw some of the more benign meds at him to see if it helps but if what he needs is major surgery or chemotherapy he’s not going to get it unless the vet is sure of the diagnosis and a biopsy would hopefully answer that question, at least with respect to tongue cancer or granuloma.

As regards anaesthetics - well patients are often far from healthy when receiving a GA, when you think about all the reasons they might need a GA in the first place. Yes, a GA carries risks, that is the case for anyone receiving one, human or animal, including risk of death. However, I’m sure your vet has taken Arthur’s individual risk profile into consideration and by the sound of it feels the benefit of a biopsy outweighs any risk to Arthur from the GA.

Hope that helps.
catlover1983
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by catlover1983 »

Hi, thanks for you’re reply. The vet has made clear if he has got cancer it will be palliative care only. It’s more that if it is an immune problem she’ll have to research and try other immunotherapy which she won’t try without the biopsy as they come with side effects.

I think we’d pretty much decided to have the biopsy as we want to help him, I was just concerned that we are making the right choices for him.
susand
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by susand »

I think you’ve made a good decision. Please let us know what the biopsy shows, I’d be really interested to know. Thanks.
catlover1983
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by catlover1983 »

Hi, I just wanted to update you on Arthur as you were all so kind with your responses. The vet confirmed last Wednesday that he has cancer on his tongue. She thinks the fur pulling his because he’s been distressed and the cat flu symptoms were a flare up because of stress from the cancer.

He’s been having good days and bad days but this morning he couldn’t eat a meaty stick and his treats kept falling out of his mouth. He’s drooling everywhere and it’s scaring him at times, so the vet is coming to put him to sleep this afternoon.

He’s been sleeping under the duvet with me or just on me for the last few days which I think has given him some comfort, but also he just looks miserable at times.

I feel strangely calm at this moment, but I don’t think I’ve ever cried so much over the last few days. He’s part of our family and I have such a bond with him. He knows how loved he is and I know that he loves us. There will never be another cat like him.

I am trying to take some comfort they he’ll end his life better than he started it, which was dumped in a box with cat flu.

He’s such a beautiful boy and thank you so much for all of your support.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I am so sorry. It is the last, kindest thing we can do for them, but is so very hard to do. I will be thinking of you and your family as you say goodbye.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

You have done all you could for him and given him a wonderful life, and now the sad time has come when all you have left to give is to alleviate his suffering. It is the greatest and hardest gift we have to give.

I am so sorry to read this news and wish you love and Arthur a gentle peaceful closure.
susand
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by susand »

I am so sorry, it is hard, I know, but I think Arthur was very lucky to have had such a caring owner in you. I hope you can take some comfort in knowing that you did the best you could for him. It was obvious from your posts that you loved him very much and had his best interests at heart. Take care❤️

PS and thankyou for taking the trouble to get back to us to let us know the outcome. It is much appreciated, even though the news is so sad xx