Kibble recommendations (liver, anti-sickness and/or stool firming)

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
mrrossi
Frequent Cat Chatter

Kibble recommendations (liver, anti-sickness and/or stool firming)

Post by mrrossi »

Hi

Just wondering if anyone can recommend any dry cat food / kibble (available in UK) that helps with one or more of the following:
  • Liver issues
    Anti-sickness
    Firming of stools
I have already tried the following kibble:
  • Purina ONE Sensitive Turkey & Rice Dry Cat Food (he likes this but doesn't help with his stools)
    Hills Prescription Digestive Care i/d (good for liver but he's fussy and doesn't eat much)
    ROYAL CANIN Hepatic (he won't eat this)
Also tried Hills i/d wet food and he won't eat.

NB: already been using milk thistle/other liver, sickness & firming products with meat based food but it's hard to get him to eat these, and he seems to prefer kibble these days... and can't mix those into kibble (and I'm rubbish at feeding meds directly to him) hence my question whether there are some kibble options that could help here.

Thanks!
Ross
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Kibble recommendations (liver, anti-sickness and/or stool firming)

Post by Mollycat »

Are you looking for an alternative to prescribed meds? Have you had a chat with the vet first about other ways to administer meds? Liver problems plus D&V sounds quite serious, whatever you change I'd do it with your vet's guidance.
mrrossi
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by mrrossi »

Hi

Discussed with vet many times - to be fair, need to change my vet as I'm not at all impressed with them. If I'd followed their advice and not the information on here my cat wouldn't be alive.

We did agree at least its about "finding the right balance". After trail & error, I did - but they've stopped making his fave wet food & I've been unable to find anything else he will consistently eat.

By meds I mean:

Pro-kolin for firm poos
HomeoPet digestive drops - sickness
Milk thistle - liver aid

Was just after advice on kibble please that may help replace one or more of these as its hard to get these into wet food he'll eat.

Thanks
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

One of the gastro-sensitivity foods may be your best bet. Unless his liver disease is bad enough to be causing encephalitis you probably don't want to reduce protein too far, and the hepatic foods are designed to be low in protein - Poppy, my toy poodle, has confirmed liver failure and eats Royal Canin canned hepatic with added cooked chicken breast to give her the extra protein she needs. I use the Protexin Bio-Premium probiotic powder to help keep her digestion going - mixed with water it makes a chicken flavoured gravy - and an occasional dose of digestive paste as needed. Protexin Denamarin tablets include milk thistle and are coated, which may make them easier to smuggle into a piece of chicken or another treat.
mrrossi
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by mrrossi »

Thanks fjm - and mollycat - you have both helped me on my former post too :)

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10994&p=69861#p69861

As per that post, I actually need to decrease protein. Hence my "what kibble" will help query now.
mrrossi
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by mrrossi »

Just wanted to add an update here.

I think Tiggy's liver is much better now and I've got him on a mix of beef (95% of his diet consisted of this for years, way too long... it makes up about 40/50% now) + kibble and it appears to be the perfect balance.

No vomiting, poo consistency is good.

I.e. gave up on wet cat food (+ meds); really didn't agree with him.

For his kibble, 80% of it is:

Purina ONE Sensitive Turkey & Rice Dry Cat Food

And then I can just about to get him to eat (mixing in) the Purina Hypoallergenic (actually purchased by accident) and/or Purina Gastrointestinal for the remaining 20%.

Been on this mix for about a month now, he's gained a little weight and seems very happy!!

I have a new non-diet issue though: will create a separate post for that!!

Thanks