My cat spay wound reopened after 30 days

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
raina1011
New Cat Chatter

My cat spay wound reopened after 30 days

Post by raina1011 »

Hi! I was wondering if I am the only cat owner to have experienced this and if maybe I am missing something about my cat’s health.
I rescued a beautiful tricolor car about a year ago and in February she gave birth to three gorgeous ginger kittens who are growing up strong and healthy. However mum cat has had a few health problems over the last year she has been with us, lost her voice from excessive meowing, infected leg after it got scraped, suture reaction after spaying and now 32 days after her spay (9 May) her incision re opened. She has been restless throughout her healing from the surgery but otherwise once the incision closed after 3 weeks she was fine. She was allowed to go back to her usual activities then and was kept indoors because we had bad weather and she didn’t want to to out.
Today, during the usual playtime with the kittens she joined in and I noticed a red spot on her tummy and upon inspection I noticed the incision came open again, I cleaned it and got her back into an E-collar and took her to the vet who only cleaned her up and told me to watch out in case it opens further along the incision line as it only involved the skin.
I was wondering if anyone else had ever experienced the same with their furry friend and if you had any advice to give on how to provide the best care without further stressing my cat.
I put her in a little jumpsuit so that she is more comfortable while still not being able to lick her wound.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: My cat spay wound reopened after 30 days

Post by Mollycat »

No but I'm a little concerned that the original wound took 3 weeks to heal. Cats heal much better than humans and human skin closes properly in 7 to 10 days, so I'm surprised at your vet being so casual about it. Also the tummy area is not under tension so there is no reason for it to reopen.

I'm wondering if some vitamin deficiency could be hampering the normal skin healing process? But do not supplement without consulting your vet, I'm suggesting a discussion point not a home remedy.
raina1011
New Cat Chatter

Post by raina1011 »

Mollycat wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:07 am No but I'm a little concerned that the original wound took 3 weeks to heal. Cats heal much better than humans and human skin closes properly in 7 to 10 days, so I'm surprised at your vet being so casual about it. Also the tummy area is not under tension so there is no reason for it to reopen.

I'm wondering if some vitamin deficiency could be hampering the normal skin healing process? But do not supplement without consulting your vet, I'm suggesting a discussion point not a home remedy.
As per the vet she had a reaction to the suture thread as it was oozing pus for 2 weeks even though she was in a little onesie and had no access to lick and I was cleaning the wound daily with iodine solution as per their advice. After 10 days i noticed a bulb of pus and blood which burst and she was taken to the vet asap and they removed the leftover thread and cleaned the wound, and informed me there was no infection just inflammation (as a doctor I didn’t see any signs of infection of her wound but I was still concerned that it was not healing the way it should). Once the thread was out, she was stapled and the skin fully closed after 5 days and the staples removed. She was housebound since and she’s been running around and back to normal activities. Now she’s back in a onesie until it heals again :cry:
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Ah your being a medical professional makes a big difference. So how long after the staples did it reopen, was it 30 days after the spay or 30 days after the last time it was closed?