Can Stage 2 Kidney Disease Be Managed And Prescription Question

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Spartacus123
Frequent Cat Chatter

Can Stage 2 Kidney Disease Be Managed And Prescription Question

Post by Spartacus123 »

Hi,

Last year my 16 year old cat was diagnosed with stage 2 kidney disease. She is super stubborn and hates all renal dry and wet food. She does love Royal Canine 12+ dry food and she sticks to Friskies wet food. Her diet isn't great but it's better than it was.

She had follow up blood tests last week and her results are back in the normal range. I thought it was not possible to reverse stage 2 just manage it. Obviously I'm no expert and would be happy to be proven wrong.

Also, I'm in the Middle East and the vet wrote out a prescription for Methimazole Transdermal Gel. I can't get a vet to give me the meds in the US as they have to be registered there. Does anyone know a vet that would accept an overseas prescription ideally in the UK as I'm back home shortly.

TIA
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Can Stage 2 Kidney Disease Be Managed And Prescription Question

Post by booktigger »

With diet and/or medication, kidney values certainly can reduce. You've mentioned kidney disease, but methimazole is for thyroid function, if she has both, treating thyroid normally makes kidney function worse, as the increased blood flow with thyroid disease helps kidney function
Spartacus123
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Spartacus123 »

Thank you. Yes, she has thyroid issues too. I'll talk to my vet about it. They didn't mention the thyroid meds would make her kidney disease worse. It would make life more pleasant for both of us if Methimazole was stopped as she hates the medication and at least half is spat out and found later in random places :D
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Treating the thyroid doesn't make kidney issues worse, exactly, it's a little more complicated than that.

Hyperthyroidism increases blood pressure. This does what vets refer to as "masking" kidney disease, makes it look better than it really is. But high blood pressure can damage the heart and eyes, so having the two conditions together can be a tricky balancing act. So untreated hyperthyroidism is usually worse than untreated kidney disease, which can be managed quite easily.

You may have other options if you don't want to continue the tablets, I believe there is a gel that is applied to the skin, and there is also an ultra low iodine food - if you can get hold of these things where you are. But if tablets are your only option, and you are finding it becoming a battle, then that is more difficult. You may need to have a conversation with your vet about all the options, even the impossible or unacceptable ones.

But for your original question, chronic kidney failure is very manageable, but unless the hyperthyroidism is under control it might be difficult to assess the true condition of the kidneys. This website is excellent and has a section specifically on hyperthyroidism as well as lots of helpful diet information http://www.felinecrf.org/index.htm
Spartacus123
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Spartacus123 »

Molly cat thank you that's really helpful. Finding a vet who can give us the transdermal gel is a bit of a challenge so until then I guess it will be the tablets.

We go back to the vets on the 17th July for a follow up blood test. Hopefully, there is an improvement. My success rate is probably around 60% still finding pills which have been spat out.

The meds are making her tired. She had a bladder infection and blood in urine last week but thankfully wasn't too serious. It was an infection which meds cleared. She's had a rough few weeks, I just want her to enjoy life again.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Spartacus123 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:15 am She's had a rough few weeks, I just want her to enjoy life again.
I hear you. Even my most docile Ragdoll's quality of life began to suffer from daily pills after a few weeks. It's ok to take into account how forcing meds on them impacts their joy in life and their relationship with us, when making decisions on their future. I know I do, have in the past and will again in the future, let cats go earlier than I needed to if only I would have been prepared to force treatments on them that they didn't like.

I suppose you have tried putting the tablets in cheese or meat to disguise them, and those sort of tricks?
Spartacus123
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Spartacus123 »

Mollycat wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:02 am
Spartacus123 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:15 am She's had a rough few weeks, I just want her to enjoy life again.
I hear you. Even my most docile Ragdoll's quality of life began to suffer from daily pills after a few weeks. It's ok to take into account how forcing meds on them impacts their joy in life and their relationship with us, when making decisions on their future. I know I do, have in the past and will again in the future, let cats go earlier than I needed to if only I would have been prepared to force treatments on them that they didn't like.

I suppose you have tried putting the tablets in cheese or meat to disguise them, and those sort of tricks?
Sorry just saw your response. Yes, have tried hiding the pills nothing works. The pill pockets worked once then she knew she was tricked. Cheese and meat are the same.

She's still a tiny bit feral she never completely lost the street cat in her. Also, she's part Mau super stubborn. Giving her a pill involves claws, teeth and spitting out. It's quite stressful for us both.

If I stopped the meds would she suffer? I was thinking of maybe 2 to 3 times a week. She's losing trust in me which is sad as I spent so long in the early days building it.

Sorry you've been in the same situation. It's rubbish.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

I think it's a matter to discuss with your vet - alternative meds, or what happens if meds are stopped. It's an important decision and you should be armed with all the facts as well as good support whatever you decide. There will always be difficult emotions in deciding to continue or stop any important treatment.
Spartacus123
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Spartacus123 »

Thank you, I will discuss with my vet on Friday.
Spartacus123
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Spartacus123 »

Mollycat wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:08 pm I think it's a matter to discuss with your vet - alternative meds, or what happens if meds are stopped. It's an important decision and you should be armed with all the facts as well as good support whatever you decide. There will always be difficult emotions in deciding to continue or stop any important treatment.
This article is a good read, along with your advice I'm going to tell the vet I'm stopping Methimazole. I've just ordered the Hills Prescription diet. Thank you.

https://consciouscat.net/2019/03/25/whe ... nt-page-1/