Cattery concern

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Sunset70
New Cat Chatter

Cattery concern

Post by Sunset70 »

I wonder if anyone can give me some advice and put my mind at rest?

In about 10 days time we are going on holiday abroad for a week and have booked a place at a luxury cat hotel for my dear 12 year old rescue cat.

I don't really like the idea of putting her in a cattery as we adopted her from a rescue home 5 years ago, she had a few homes before that and never settled in any of them. One of my main concerns is that she may think we are abandoning her again, plus the car journey to this luxury cat hotel is about 40 mins long and she gets very stressed out travelling. We usually have visits from a pet sitter when we go away, but on this occasion we don't have this option because she has starting fighting with the next door neighbours cat.

I love her dearly and want the best for her. Am I doing the right thing by putting her in a cattery?

Please advise.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cattery concern

Post by Mollycat »

It doesn't sound as though you have much choice.

How did it go last time, with the dog?
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cattery concern

Post by fjm »

As Mollycat says, needs must. I would prepare blankets and toys so that they smell of home - take them into your bed, put them where she sleeps, etc - and take as much of her stuff as you can to make the pen feel as familiar as possible. My cats always enjoyed their time in the posh cattery, although it has to be said that they were pretty laid back about most things. Do try to control your own anxiety though - she will pick up on it, and that is likely to distress her much more than a week of being spoilt rotten in feline luxury!