Senior boy peeing outside box everyday

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
KarenC77
New Cat Chatter

Senior boy peeing outside box everyday

Post by KarenC77 »

Hey,
I have a senior boy who I have had for 13 years and he is the sunshine in my day. He has had a lot of medical problems especially this year. He has had pancreatitis a couple times this year and peed outside his litterbox a few times which he never never did before. Lately, he has been peeing outside the box pretty much everyday and I'm not sure what to do. I did catch him last night and he was actually in the box but his stream of urine was up over the box and onto the floor. I've put puppy pads down on the floor to make clean up easier.
Does anyone have any ideas? I have taken him to the vet several times this year and he is eating well so I'm assuming his pancreatitis isn't back. I was hoping to try some ideas before I take him back to the vet to give my credit card a little break.
thank you!
Karen
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Senior boy peeing outside box everyday

Post by booktigger »

Have you had a urine sample checked for an infection? Some vets will let you just take the sample, which would make it a bit cheaper for you.
KarenC77
New Cat Chatter

Post by KarenC77 »

I hadn't thought of a urine sample. Thank you. I will take one in and see. He did actually pee in tte box twice today though so fingers crossed!!
Oddcat
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Oddcat »

Interesting that you mention him peeing over the top of the box. Our 10 year old boy had a bout of cystitis, which thankfully was a one off, and he's now fit as a fiddle. But he has been peeing standing up, rather than squatting, ever since. After much cleaning up and trying larger and larger litter trays, we eventually bought one of those large plastic storage boxes, cut an entrance in one end and problem sorted! He can peeing happily standing up and the storage box is tall enough to avoid any 'over flow'. The box looks a bit odd, but I don't mind; if he's happy I'm happy.
++malini_a123
New Cat Chatter

Post by ++malini_a123 »

Hi from the US Novato, CA I was reading about elevated ALT. I wanted to give some hope, registered, and saw your post. Please get a urine sample to see if he has crystals in his urine. They will be tiny. My cat and my best friend's cat had bladder stones. Her cat was peeing outside the box and then in her shoes. He was a very smart cat so I knew he was not well. She was cleaning the box one afternoon and we were waiting for it to dry. He went to her small 12-inch high garbage can for her bathroom. Got on the thin edge and did his business in it. We were amazed and lol at the same time.
I assisted my vet as she trained me for 4 years as her surgery asst. Loved it. My cat had been to emergency and they showed me a photo of the stones they found in the urine. Little did I know it was an enlarged photo!!!. My cat was a big girl and she had fat around her bladder. We took 2 inches of fat off to get to the bladder. We kept flushing and after 40 minutes we were going to give up, when the tiny little stones finally budged. She never had them again. They can tell what kind of stones and direct you to a diet that will prevent them. It could be a bladder inflammation or other issue like it hurts to squat even.

He most likely is having some pain somewhere when he uses the box therefore he is avoiding it. He knows he is supposed to go there but the feeling of pain has set in his mind and so he then begins to think there will be no pain if he does not go into the box. I wish him a speedy recovery. If he starts to howl go to emergency right away.
KarenC77
New Cat Chatter

Post by KarenC77 »

Thanks!! I haven't been on this site in ages but I did take my cat in to the vet shortly after I posted about his issues. He got a bit worse first and was only pooping every 2nd or 3rd day. When he would eventually poop, it would be really messy and he would need bathed and every room in our apartment would have poop on the floor. The vet did an exam and got a urine sample. Everything was good and she thought his arthritis has gotten worse and is in his spine now. She thought that was why he wasn't squatting in the box as it hurt him and that was why the pee was getting on the floor. She thought he was holding his stool because of pain too. She put him on pain medication twice a day and it took a couple days but he is going to the box regularly now. I think he may still be in some pain but not like before. I'm going to ask her about CDB products to help with the pain next time we talk to her.
Thanks for your help!! I worry about him. He has a lot of health problems and is getting older. I do have a great vet now so that helps. :)