Cat isn't urinating or pooing

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
tkeen80
New Cat Chatter

Cat isn't urinating or pooing

Post by tkeen80 »

I am currently looking After a stray cat until it can go to foster home, she hasn't urinated or pooed for 2 days. There's no sign in litter box but she had been eating and drinking. Should I be worried?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Cat isn't urinating or pooing

Post by Crewella »

Several of mine didn't use their tray for a couple of days after they arrived - it's quite common, especially for strays and ferals in a new environment, as they are too scared. I usually get some sign of litter tray use on the second or third day - any longer than that and I'd start to get concerned. Hopefully, things will 'start moving' tonight. Let us know how things go.
tkeen80
New Cat Chatter

Post by tkeen80 »

Thanks for this she has a good appetite and has drank nearly a bowlful of water and she doesn't seem in distress so hopefully it's temporary. I am wondering if she knows what litter is she keeps eating bits of it. I stop her when I see her do it. It's the non clumping gravel type.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Have you got any other litter around? Perhaps some unfinished bags? I would try her with something else. I had some stuff in a tray for a little stray but was worried she wasn't going despite drinking - I changed the litter to wood pellets and couldn't get it on the floor quick enough and she was in there...
tkeen80
New Cat Chatter

Post by tkeen80 »

No haven't got any other type in, will try some wood pellet tomorrow if no luck tonight. Thanks
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

You could try some soil - at least then she should know what it is for.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

a layer of garden soil on top of the existing compost might do the trick - it would smell more natural to a cat used to toileting outdoors