First time owner kitten advice

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Cliokiss
New Cat Chatter

First time owner kitten advice

Post by Cliokiss »

Hi everyone,

I adopted my first kitten, Clio, two months ago.
I grew up with two cats and had been wanting to have a cat of my own for years but due to renting could never have one.
This year I moved to my own flat and finally pulled the trigger. I had been looking at older cats initially but as it would be indoor only a lot of rescues never got back to me, so in the end I adopted a kitten (with some encouragement)

She's been a handful which was completely expected and manageable (after adjusting to getting up an hour or two earlier than usual!). I work from home so she's never alone by herself for too long.
So far, everything has been fine. She sleeps well at night and I always make time to play with her and give her fuss and attention.

All this being said, I live in a small block of flats and am very aware of any excess noise she/we make. Having lived below noisy neighbours in the past I absolutely do not want to be a nuisance to anyone.

She has been obsessing over the front door recently. I have started harness training as I want to be able to give her some time outside (I compromised my belief that cats should be allowed outside somewhat in getting her but read a lot of advice on indoor cats and wouldn't have got her if I wasn't totally comfortable with the idea) and she always tries to dash out the door.

So she has been getting increasingly noisy lately and it's been stressing me out. I read different thing that said you should ignore or you should reciprocate. I have tried both but at the moment neither is making a difference.
She has food generally the same time as myself and a bit inbetween plus kibble is always available. I worry that she isn't meant to be an indoor cat and she would be happier in a place with other people (it's just myself and her) and being able to go outside.
She's due to be spayed soon and I wonder if that would help also calming her down a touch.
It's got me stressing I made a wrong choice in adopting her and even though she is a right monkey at times I've already grown so attached I don't know what to do.

I am also going to speak to my downstairs neighbour today as I want to make sure she isn't causing them any problems. The flat is fully carpeted and seems to be quite well soundproof but I still worry about noise levels.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: First time owner kitten advice

Post by fjm »

Is it possible that the crying and attempts to escape are because she is already calling? Does she roll on the floor asking for attention? How long has she been noisy? Did trying to get out of the door start at around the same time? All these are behaviours typical of a cat in oestrus, and if that is the chief cause should improve significantly once she is spayed.