How to stop a cat scratching/licking

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
susand
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

How to stop a cat scratching/licking

Post by susand »

Hello everyone. Can you offer any suggestions to solve a little problem I have? As regular visitors to the forum will know, my cat Harvey has atopic dermatitis. He was taking Apoquel but it stopped working a couple of months ago (apparently that can happen) and he was switched back onto steroids. They have worked really well but I’d rather find an alternative because steroids not only increase his risk of an attack of cat flu, as he is a carrier, but also they store up potential problems for the future, such as diabetes etc.

I therefore opted to try immunotherapy. I have an appointment at the animal hospital in Edinburgh for 2nd of August for patch testing but I was instructed to stop his steroids 3 weeks beforehand. I wound the steroids down slowly and then stopped them altogether on 11th July. He seemed fine for the first couple of days but then the scratching and licking recommenced in earnest and he developed a bald patch on his back which he was licking so hard it started bleeding.

I bought a special jacket thing from the vet which is supposed to stop scratching and licking but when I put it on him he went ballistic and was really, really distressed, with his tail all bushy through fear and letting out these heart-wrenching wails. I couldn’t stand seeing him like that so cut it off him. I’ve caved and given him his steroid medication to stop him itching while I work out what to do. Ideally I’d like to find something that Harvey will tolerate and reschedule his appointment once we’ve both recovered from the jacket episode.

I’d really like to try the immunotherapy but the 3 weeks with no medication is a huge barrier. I’ve looked online and the options, other than the jacket thing, seem to be as follows;

1. The traditional cone, which I know from experience with previous cats is not well tolerated.
2. A padded or inflatable collar. These have mixed reviews. Some reviewers seem to think they are great but the general consensus is they are a waste of money.

Does anyone have any experience with these padded/inflatable collars? Any other suggestions? Leaving him to scratch isn’t an option as the skin needs to be in good condition for the patch testing and also, he scratches and licks so hard he ends up a mess with permanent bald patches through scarring if he isn’t medicated.

Thanks.
Rani1
New Cat Chatter

Re: How to stop a cat scratching/licking

Post by Rani1 »

Hi, iam new to the forum I was wondering how your cat was now.
I have four cats and one of them called Charlie had similar symptoms he had very bad skin near the tail upwards, so I put pure extra virgin coconut oil every week it calm down his itching and all the dead skin peeled off every time I combed. Every cat is different but it worked fine for Charlie I repeat this when ever I see him itching.
susand
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: How to stop a cat scratching/licking

Post by susand »

Hi Rani1,

Sorry for the late reply but I’ve only just seen your post. Harvey has been diagnosed with feline atopic skin syndrome and now takes Atopica. He’s doing really well on it and I’m so glad I decided to see the the veterinary dermatologist, it was worth the money, definitely.

If your cat has just one area that is itchy, I would advise seeing a vet, just to make sure it isn’t an infection that is causing the problem.