Kitten destroying curtains

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
BeccaG96
New Cat Chatter

Kitten destroying curtains

Post by BeccaG96 »

I have a 5 month old kitten which has lived with me for 2 months. She's fantastic and taken well to toilet training and feeding and sleeping schedule however has a really bad habit of climbing my curtains and destroying them. I trim her nails often but the curtains are full of holes and I don't know how to get her to stop. I will always get up and spray her when she does it but she just goes back again and it's starting to get frustrating. Does anyone have any advice on how to stop this behaviour please?
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Kitten destroying curtains

Post by fjm »

Have you tried giving her something even better to climb? Is she allowed outside? Does she have high places she can get to without climbing the curtains? Clipping claws is not really advisable in young cats who can keep them in good order themselves - I would concentrate on giving her better outlets for her energy and climbing instincts.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Kitten destroying curtains

Post by Mollycat »

Please don't spray a cat or kitten except if there is a real and immediate danger to life. Cats' do not respond well to this form of punishment and as you're seeing for yourself, it doesn't work when used all the time, but it could turn your lovely kitten into a fearful, aggressive, dangerous cat.

As fjm says, give your kitten something better to climb and use a catnip spray to show her that this is hers to do whatever she wants with.