Just a bad vaccine reaction?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
jamesthebackcat
New Cat Chatter

Just a bad vaccine reaction?

Post by jamesthebackcat »

Hey everyone! I just found you guys and hope it’s ok to pop a question about my little babe. 

So my 5 year old cat James got her rabies shot (Versiguard) about 2,5 weeks ago and the RCP vaccine 3,5 weeks ago, both in her right flank/upper thigh. She was a bit sensible to touch right after but perfectly fine otherwise.

2 days ago I noticed a pea sized lump in the area. It does not seem to hurt her. It had some sort of scab (about half a pinky fingernail). I tried to “clean” the area with some saline solution and the “scab” came off. She has no fever and eats, plays and sleeps just fine, she also lays on her thigh so I don’t think it hurts her. I took a couple of picture of it as well. You can see the “scab” and the wound itself after I cleaned it. It does look like there’s a small wound which I think is due to the needle.

I am obviously super nworried about fibrosarcoma. 

In January she got the Leocogen shot in the neck (could not do otherwise) and she developed a thumb nail big lump afterwards that disappeared about 3 weeks later. It was a bit bigger but it took less time to dissolve

Do you think she’s just more prone to “allergic” reactions to her shots? Should I be worried? My vets on holidays and I don’t want to go all crazy for now, ha ha.

Should it take so long for the jab lump to dissolve? I feel so bad cuz I should have been more attentive. :(

I also Thought it could be a tick bite but she’s an indoor cat so there’s that… Also, there was no tick

thanks everyone, so appreciated!

Love y’all, James and Hannah

Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Just a bad vaccine reaction?

Post by Mollycat »

I think most members here are UK based where we don't have the rabies shot, but I have noticed vets don't seem to massage the injection site for half a minute after giving a shot any more. The purpose of massaging was to prevent lumps so the dropping of this practice along with a rise in post injection lumps, could these things be related, you decide!

For the existing lump I would talk to you vet. In future and anyone else, I would suggest a little massage of the injection site if your vet is one of those that doesn't do this.
jamesthebackcat
New Cat Chatter

Post by jamesthebackcat »

Hey, thanks so much for answering! Yeah, we didn’t
Massage it more than a couple of seconds as James was “a bit mad” for getting jabbed I guess we could say. ;) Also the rabies shot burns quite a lot so can’t blame her for being mad, sweet baby.

Does anyone know if it’s normal for the lump to appear rather late after 2 weeks?
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by mr_frisky »

I don't know about rabies, but a lump (the size of a marble) appeared on one of my cat's neck at the vaccination site around 2 weeks after her vaccination in 2020. It went down after another 10 days. I panicked and had a fine needle aspirate biopsy done which confirmed it was just a cystic reaction to the jab.