Advice sought on liver supplements please

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Rosella
Frequent Cat Chatter

Advice sought on liver supplements please

Post by Rosella »

Dinah has raised ALT (550) and Bilirubin in urine sample. I'm not at all inclined to go xray, ultrasound, liver sampling route on 14 year old puss as she's only had a couple of poorly days so far. Vet suggests liver supplements and have tried Vetpro Advanced liver support sprinkled on her food which she refuses.

Any alternative suggestions welcome 🙏
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Advice sought on liver supplements please

Post by fjm »

Poppy, my toy poodle, has liver failure and is on Denamarin, as well as drugs and a special diet. It comes in tablet form, which is probably not ideal for cats, though. Have you tried the powder on something extra special, like Lick e Lix or one of the cat soups?
Rosella
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Rosella »

Thanx for reply. Very sorry that your dog Poppy has liver trouble. It's such a worry.

Yes I tried the contents of capsule on lick-e-lix first and then on tasty food but she hated the Vetpro stuff. Capsule way too big to give whole. I will try Denamarin but would really prefer to hear from other cat slaves of their successes beforehand.
Last edited by Rosella on Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Hi R, hope you are well, have missed you. I know we tried some kind of powder on Buster, but he refused to take food with it and fortunately it self resolved. Fingers crossed for Dinah.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Nothing helpful here but just to offer my one and only experience of both those values raised in a blood test. The same blood test also revealed hyperthyroidism but ALT was higher than expected purely for HT and the vet said the bilirubin was unrelated to HT, which it isn't necessarily. HT took priority, obviously, with a note to look again at liver once that was dealt with. We never heard from ALT or bilirubin ever again. Same as Booktigger's Buster, it self resolved.

So -
Has Dinah had one test or repeat tests and if so after how long?

What prompted you to take her to the vet and find these two raised results?

How raised are they, compared to the reference range given? Even among great vets, some tend to err on the side of caution and scare us into treatments immediately, while others are a bit more laid-back about tests outside of normal but not far out.
Rosella
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Rosella »

Hi Desley. Very much hope you are well. Gawd ...would be great if this would all self resolve!

Hi Mollycat. Dinah was sucessfully treated for HT with radio iodine last October. Her recent T4 test was very good.

Normal range for ALT is up to 60. Vet says results of up to three times top end of range usually not that concerning and Dinah tested 180 last December which we basically ignored. Vet says more recent result of 550 is however significant.

Brought Dinah to vet with a lump on side of face (now reducing) and drinking a lot (which she still is - diabetes ruled out and kidneys seem fine) but also wanted T4 retested to be absolutely sure HT sorted.

So if anyone has had experience of any palatable liver supplements, I'd love to know more.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Rosella wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:23 pm Dinah was sucessfully treated for HT with radio iodine last October. Her recent T4 test was very good.

Normal range for ALT is up to 60. Vet says results of up to three times top end of range usually not that concerning and Dinah tested 180 last December which we basically ignored. Vet says more recent result of 550 is however significant.

Brought Dinah to vet with a lump on side of face (now reducing) and drinking a lot (which she still is - diabetes ruled out and kidneys seem fine) but also wanted T4 retested to be absolutely sure HT sorted.
That's quite a coincidence for two cats to have the same issue unrelated to another same issue! Though ours resolved and yours has progressed. But I'm always suspicious of coincidence.

Hoping Dinah gets yummy supplements and they do the trick for her, please keep us posted!