Cat constant meowing

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
livvgracee
New Cat Chatter

Cat constant meowing

Post by livvgracee »

Hello all,

I hope someone can help!

We moved house at the end of May to a new build site. A very active one with lorries, diggers and builders up and down out side our house everyday.

We started letting our cat Dolly out a few weeks ago and have no problems at all with her, she never goes far and comes back with a shake of the dreamies bag.

We do not let her out during the day with the fear that she might be run over with all the site traffic going up and down. When they have finished for the day the estate is lovely and quiet so she can go outside.

The only problem we have is that during the day when she is in she is constantly meowing and whaling at us and at the back door to go outside.

We have tried ignoring her, shouting her name to get her attention, play with her, but nothing is seeming to work unless we let her out which isn't an option with the busy site traffic.

Any help on how we settle her and stop her crying all day!! Thank you.

I should add we are home everyday as I work from home.
Wajizoe
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Cat constant meowing

Post by Wajizoe »

Hi,

It is mainly because change in environment and surroundings ,Cats are well attached to a place where they live and by changing there living space will cause change in behavior.
Cats get scared by moving into new places as by consistently meowing means she is asking to take her back to her old place.

Solution

Make her new small basket bed in your bed room and make sure she stays with you all the time.
Take her out side often and get used to new place.
Get a toy from which she diverts her mind
It will take some time but cat will surely adjust
livvgracee
New Cat Chatter

Post by livvgracee »

Thank you Wayne! She feels really settled in the new house. We always make sure we are with her when in the house. Thank you for your help!
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

I would try making indoors more fun - high places near windows to watch from, interactive food toys if she is food-motivated or ones that launch small toys if she is not, dangly toys on elastic as long as you are near enough to prevent accidents, tunnels to explore, etc. Then establish the routine - food, play, I-am-busy, play, food, I-am-busy, etc. It can take a while but eventually she will grasp that outside is only for early and late - with luck before the construction phase is over!