Anxiety?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Panny2020
New Cat Chatter

Anxiety?

Post by Panny2020 »

Recently the past two weeks my cat has been hissing at me and becoming stressed when I go to leave for work or near the front door. She has never had behaviour like this and I am quite worried. I have rang a vet but I want medication to be the last option. Just wanted to see if this has happened to anyone else?
Maywaters
New Cat Chatter

Re: Anxiety?

Post by Maywaters »

You don't need drugs; you must spend quality time with your cat, invest in a treat dispenser, and prepare a room filled with cat toys.

You cat is facing separation anxiety; when my kitten started showing signs, I taught her how to watch cartoons in my absence, and I also made my cat a pipe cleaner toy (commercial link removed)
Last edited by YogiBoy on Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Commercial link removed
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Anxiety?

Post by Mollycat »

Answers are two a penny, much more important is to find the right questions.

Can you tell us a bit more (a LOT more) about your cat and you - something has changed a couple of weeks ago to make this change in behaviour, so if we can figure out what then that might give some clues. Did you lose another member of the household, change the pattern of when you are out of the house and cat is left alone? Did another cat move into the neighbourhood? Have you added someone to the household?

How long have you had this can and what was her background - kitten, rescue, etc? What's her character, was she always quite independent, affectionate, sociable?