15-mth old rescue away from the house most of the time now

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Martin-W
Frequent Cat Chatter

15-mth old rescue away from the house most of the time now

Post by Martin-W »

In November we got a 6-mth old rescue. He was very nervous at first, but seemed to bond with all of us over the following 6 months and seemed content - an occasional lap-cat, but eager for fusses, affectionate in his own way, and every night he'd be curled up either between me and my wife on the bed, or at the foot of our young daughter's bed.

We've got a catflap and introduced him to it about 2-3 months ago...he seemed nervous at first but has since become quite happy, and now goes hunting occasionally.

...but for the last week or so we've seen him less and less. Two weeks ago my wife and son went away for a week's holiday, but I'd still find him curled up next to me at some point in the night, and he was still around for food and fusses breakfast and teatime, and occasionally kept me company in the home study during the day.

...yet last week he seemed more and more absent - away from our garden, not coming when called, and for the last three days (following a visit to the vet on Thurs) not coming home for food, or being around in the morning for breakfast - all of this is a BIG change in his routine and behaviour.

...and we're getting very worried. My wife is now wondering whether he's getting food and attention elsewhere, or if he's becoming more independent again (having come from an original home where he was one of 8-10 cats, and probably got little human attention), or if this is just due to the hot weather and he's found a cool space somewhere outside?

Any thoughts? Both about his behaviour, and about what we can do to find out what's going on? (I'm wondering whether a collar and a GPS tag is too intrusive / costly?)

Thanks,

Martin.