Kitten queries for a new/unexpected owner!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
p_hayw001
New Cat Chatter

Kitten queries for a new/unexpected owner!

Post by p_hayw001 »

A month ago I got my 1 year old female Ragdoll cat, thinking she had gained weight since I got her, until she gave birth to 4 kittens 5 days ago. This was so unexpected for me, she is an indoor cat so it is clear that her previous owners let her become pregnant. She had the babies and they seem to be doing well, with her nest in my wardrobe (not ideal but its where she seems most comfortable so..).

I have contacted vets and already learnt so much on how to bring them up and the food/vaccinations/worming treatments/litter training etc. that I will have to provide for them, however there are a few queries that I have on the kittens themselves for when they get a little older that I can't find answers for.

1. So I am a full time university student, with a part time job and my partner works full time: I am not starting uni term until october so have a lot of time for the kits at the moment to keep an eye on, however I need to know if it can be possible for me to begin leaving them alone during daytimes with mother cat in 3/4 weeks. I will obviously kitten-proof the flat as much as I can but I need to know how much independance they can have in my flat while I'm out. A lot of stuff online says not to leave kittens at all but I'm assuming this is for when people have just got one from a breeder/rescue?

2. The kittens are half ragdoll, half what I presume to be a regular black and white moggy cat, as they are all black and white. This is not a ragdoll characteristic so I was wondering when the time comes to rehome the kittens, should I suggest that they are kept as indoor cats following the usual rules for the ragdoll breed? or could they do well outside as they are half regular cat?

Any advice appreciated, just trying my best to raise them the best I can under slightly awkward circumstances :))
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Kitten queries for a new/unexpected owner!

Post by fjm »

Congratulations on dealing gracefully with such an unexpected litter! I think you are safe leaving them alone with Mum if she is caring for them well, as long as she has access to food, water and a tray. For the first few weeks her instinct will probably be to stay with them as much as possible - if she proves less maternal you will need to ensure they are kept warm and she feeds them adequately. Be aware that cats can decide to shift nests quite often and more neglectful mother cats (I had one once...) can end up leaving kittens here there and everywhere given free rein, so it may be best to keep the family in your bedroom with the door closed. When they are older I would choose one room to kitten proof as thoroughly as you can and leave them all there when there is no one around to keep an eye on them. Mum will want to get away from them for longer and longer periods once their teeth come in, so a set up where she can come and go but they can't follow her would be ideal - even some comfortable high perches would be enough to give her a break. They will need frequent meals once they are weaned - have you thought of how to manage that if you have to be out all day?

I don't have much experience of ragdolls but I suspect Dad's genes may go someway to mitigate the ragdoll softness...