Inflamed intestine and mild pancreatitis

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Kate S
Frequent Cat Chatter

Inflamed intestine and mild pancreatitis

Post by Kate S »

Susan had a scan today, so she is now to be on anti acid medicine, antibiotics and also her Felimazole so 6 tablets a day. Plus adding probiotic to her food and I need to get her special food for this which I will alternate with her kidney diet. :shock: phew!!. Any suggestions for food I can get her for pancreatitis/ inflamed intestine? It has to be low fat. She doesn't like her kidney food much but likes the Sheba chicken 'soup' which I put on her diet food. She is generally eating better and not in need of fluids since crashing the other week
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Inflamed intestine and mild pancreatitis

Post by Mollycat »

Kidney food is often reduced protein and the balance made up with either carbs or fat. Cats don't metabolise fat the same way we do so don't have the same problems with it, so this is actually fine - unless they have GI issues and pancreatitis of course! So you're dealing with two issues that want opposite treatments.

I had this with my Bobby. In view of his age and the progression of the two conditions (GI rapid, kidneys very slow) we gave his gut absolute priority, and in the end it still wasn't enough. Every cat is different, I would take guidance from your vet on diet and what takes priority - I would expect it to be pancreatitis but only a vet can advise. Alternating diets I wouldn't, though. Decide which condition needs priority and stick to it unless tests and vet say otherwise.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I agree with Mollycat, while Lucy's aren't quite the same, renal food isn't supposed to be used for cats with hyper-calcaemia, but the vet had a very similar view to Mollycat's, kidney issues are going to affect her quicker than calcium ones, she can't tolerate too much renal food though, when we did try and change from 2 pouches to 3, she was poorly (now she hates renal wet and her values have gone up!). I'd ask the vet if you could do a mix of the two diets, similar to Lucy having part renal (well, senior now) and part adult, to try and balance the two conditions.
Kate S
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Kate S »

Susan still only eating a small amount of wet food. I am giving her the shredded chicken soupy type. She is not tolerant of the gastro or renal wet food at all. Waiting for gastrointestinal/ sensitive biscuits to arrive, as she seems to prefer the dry food. At least we've had no vomiting for about 2 weeks. I'm supposed to add probiotic powder or phosphorus binder but if that's put on she doesn't touch any of it!How about food for older cats? I can then mix it with sensitive food?