Serious advice needed

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Ael_6584
New Cat Chatter

Serious advice needed

Post by Ael_6584 »

Hello all, thank you to those who will lend an ear and advice.

A few years back a stray dropped off her two kittens in my mom's barn. I worked my kitty magic and got them to be great friendly barn pet cats. Over the years one has contracted uvitis from a dumb water treatment plant that was built next to the farm. She is pretty much blind. One eye is white and the other is getting cloudy.

Given she lives in a barn where raccoons are rampant I figured since I just bought a house I would take her to ensure nothing bad would happen to her.

I know it's a transitional period and would be hard given she's used to living outside. But I didn't think I would be losing hours of sleep a night. I don't know what to do about the issues I'm having. I work late so some days I do not have much time to delve into this.

So here are my issues:
1. I can't get her to use the litter boxes.
2. I have yet to see her drink any water.
3. She barely eats anything.
4. She meows incessantly. All through the night. All day. No matter what.
4 a. I hear her start to meow at night so I worry she has to potty and can't find her box. So I'll get up and put her in it. She just keeps meowing and walks out. So I'll put her in bed with me which works for anywhere between 1 hour and 3. And then she's meowing and walking around the bed which worries me as she hasn't figured out how to get down yet. She woke me up at midnight last night. Then 3. Then 4. And I couldn't get back to sleep because she wouldn't sleep. Just wanted to meow. I can't lock her out of my room because I'm worried she will mess somewhere. Yesterday she finally pooped on my daughters bed and then the floor. The first night we brought her home she peed in my dogs bed that she was sleeping in.
5. I have 2 other cats. I didn't have time to acclimate them to the new kitty as it was a rushed and late evening when we left my mother's with her. So the other two are not taking it well. I am trying to show them that nothing much has changed and give them love when they actually come around. But they just hiss and growl at the sight of her.
6. I know she wants outside but I can not let her out as it's a whole new place that she doesn't know and is almost fully blind. I do not have a way or means to make any kind of outdoor enclosure for her.

* as I am typing this she is lying on the bathroom floor just meowing. I have had about 12 hours of sleep total in the last 3 nights because of this cat and her meowing. I don't know what to do about it. I don't want to take her back to my mom's but if I can't fix these issues with her and the other cat's disdain I may have too. Please help.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Serious advice needed

Post by fjm »

I think I would take her back until you can plan rehoming very carefully. She will have grown used to navigating her home territory and is clearly struggling with so much change, as are your other two cats, with major impacts on your own health and well-being. Trying to keep her safe is a laudable aim, but at the moment it is creating too much misery all round - back at your mother's she will be once more surrounded by familiar sounds and smells and landmarks that do not move around. You will then have a breathing space to think through whether you can bring her to your own house without upsetting your own cats, whether by dedicating a room to her or building her a safe space outside.