17yr old cat not eating

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
vanilla
VIP Cat Chatter!

17yr old cat not eating

Post by vanilla »

Hi, Can anyone recommend some wet food that will get an elderly cat eating again. I gave some tuna and she ate a bit. It feels like she can't smell it so no longer interested in eating. I have a bad feeling we will lose her soon. She has been losing weight over the weeks :( Has some cat sprinkles but she's gone off that now.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: 17yr old cat not eating

Post by fjm »

Has she been to the vet for blood tests? Kidney disease is very common in older cats, and often causes them to lose their appetites, or it could be one of a number of other things. If it is her kidneys a diet low in phosphorus could help to make her feel better and slow the damage, so it is important to know before recommending foods.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: 17yr old cat not eating

Post by Mollycat »

As fjm says the kidneys are a bit of a weak point in cats and reducing kidney function can make them feel really lousy, so a simple blood test can give you the pointers you need, whether she is indeed on the path to a better place or whether a simple change of diet, a supplement or medication, or even a dental, could give her a new lease of life and have her playing like a silly kitten again.

Three years ago I had a 15 year old that was on his way. Now I have another 15 year old with a new lease of life. I'm not one to drag things out when they are ready to leave us, but often there can be a surprisingly simple and cheap solution to a cat that seems worn out and some more years full of good life. Only a vet can help you find out which this is.