Cancer in 10 year old cats intestine and liver- advice required ASAP

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
brit07
New Cat Chatter

Cancer in 10 year old cats intestine and liver- advice required ASAP

Post by brit07 »

My cat Persia is 10 years old and has been suffering from IBD for a little while. Persia has just gotten a diagnosis today from the vets after some scans and x-rays that she had cancer in both the intestine and liver. I believe the cancer the vets suspect she has is called adenocarcinoma. My vets were conscious of the fact that surgery would be unlikely to work in this scenario and that chemotherapy might make her quite poorly and be quite cruel I suppose. I was just wanting some other opinions on the situation as I don’t want to give up on Persia but I also don’t want her to have no quality of life. The vet suspects she has weeks, perhaps months left based on the scans and x-rays so I’m desperate for alternative advice ASAP or anyone’s past experiences please.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cancer in 10 year old cats intestine and liver- advice required ASAP

Post by fjm »

I am so sorry - this is devastating news to face. I believe chemotherapy is not very effective for adenocarcinoma, which leaves very few options other than palliative care. Steroids such as Prednidale can help cats with lymphoma but I don't know if it helps the sort of cancer affecting Persia. using a steroid would rule out treatment with NSAIDs such as meloxicom, so you would need to discuss with your vet the best treatment options.

I hope you can keep Persia comfortable for some time yet, and build some more happy memories to help you through the difficult times ahead.
susand
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by susand »

There is no cure for adenocarcinoma of the intestines that has spread to the liver I’m afraid. Chemotherapy might prolong her life a little, but only by a few weeks and the whole procedure could also be quite stressful for her so would not improve her quality of life. That was what I was told by my vet when one of my cats was diagnosed with the same thing. For me it was a shock and I took him home to think things over but he deteriorated quite quickly and had to be put to sleep 3 days after his diagnosis. I’m sorry I can’t offer better news.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

I can only say the same as the others, I'm afraid. My experience of cancer in cats has been uniformly bad and treatment has been useless.