How to get rid of fleas?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Sam1234566
New Cat Chatter

How to get rid of fleas?

Post by Sam1234566 »

I need help I have a 3 year old and a new arrival due in 4 weeks, I love our cat my daughter loves him but I've sprayed the house in flea spray he has a flea collar AND I hve used that flea drops and nothing working and is stressing me out as new baby coming, I can't sleep gettin bit and so does my daughter nt fair on us or out cat and he amazing he loving cuddly jus need help x
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: How to get rid of fleas?

Post by greenkitty »

What products are you using? I would remove the flea collar straight away they are more harmful to the cat than do good. You need to get good quality flea treatments from your vet something like Stronghold or Advocate, a really good household flea spray is Indorex, again your vet might stock or you can buy it online. Most of the flea treatments you buy at the supermarket are useless and in the case of Bob Martin's products have proved very dangerous to cats.
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Grace56 »

Wow! I didn't know that, Kitty. Thanks for the warning about Bob Martin products. :shock: And for the name of a good flea spray for the house. :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I agree with greenkitty. I would also say, give your carpets/floors a really good vacuum - get right into the corners (or better still, in your case, get someone else to do it!) then spray one room at a time, concentrate on the skirtings, then shut the door and keep out for a while. I don't know what is in Indorex, but I would err on the side of caution with ALL such chemicals. If you do this you should treat the whole problem, not just visible adults.

I'm not for one minute suggesting your house needs a good clean!!! I am speaking from experience. I once helped a friend decorate her hall (she hated heights!). The old carpet came out and I was painting the skirting when my legs started itching. Taking off my overalls, I found 28(!) flea bites. :shock: My houseproud friend was mortified. :oops: These things happen.

Good luck with the flea problem and very best wishes with your new arrival! :D
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Another good tip is to put a flea collar in your hoover bag so it gets rid of anything in the bag.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Sam, are you just looking for an excuse to rehome your cat? I notice you've offered it for rehoming in another part of the forum...
LittlePenBigHeart
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by LittlePenBigHeart »

I did a long post to someone about flea treatments a little while back. I've posted the link to that thread below:

http://www.catchat.org/felineforum/view ... =13&t=6216