Dave, & Possible Reaction to Advantage Flea Treatment.

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Dave, & Possible Reaction to Advantage Flea Treatment.

Post by Grace56 »

My stray, Dave, who I am taking home tomorrow seems very lethargic and off his food. Yesterday, I treated him with Advantage flea drops and it seems to be since then.
I administered it properly and as per instructions but poor old Dave doesn't seem his usual self. I've looked on line and it seems some cats do have a bad reaction. I really don't know what to do now as I am taking him back to Norwich (from Ipswich) on the train and I don't want to make the poor little fella worse.
He ate some of his breakfast this morning, but he didn't yowl when he heard me feeding Louie and Banshee. But he hasn't touched his lunch. Also, his nose is very dry and rough.

Has anyone else heard of cats having a bad reaction to Advantage? HELP! :(
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Dave, & Possible Reaction to Advantage Flea Treatment.

Post by meriad »

I've heard a few stories where a cat has gone off colour a bit after having flea treatment applied - it must be a shock to their system having all those chemicals applied. Do you know roughly how heavy Dave is and did you use the large or small Advantage?

In the meantime see if he'll eat something special like some chicken and just make sure he's getting enough fluids

And if you're still concerned in the morning either call the vet or pop him to the vet if you can; but I suspect that by then he'll be fine
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

Oh I do hope he is, Meriad. I am worried about him. He does have a bowl of clean water and food if he needs it. We just had a massive thunder storm with torrential rain so I hope he found shelter.
Tomorrow cannot come quick enough for me and getting him warm, dry and comfortable at my house.

He is a big cat but quite slender. I've no idea as to his weight. I'm hopeless at guessing that kind of stuff. :?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I've heard of cats having an 'off' day after a flea treatment as well, hopefully he'll be back to normal tomorrow. Just keep an eye on him. xx
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

Well, typical....Dave is now eating a bit better now. Strangely, when I fed lunch to Louie and Banshee, they left most of it as well. I wonder if the impending thunder storm was upsetting them. As it is, I haven't seen Banshee since the storm arrived. She is a little frightened of them I think. And according to my storm warnings, there is another on the way. 'Sigh' :roll:
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I 'Frontlined' Bobby last week and for a couple of days after he was really off his food. There is not much of him at the best of times so I was really worried. He seemed keen, but after licking a bit of gravy or jelly he wandered off. Now I am happy to say he is eating everything put in front of him! :D I think it must have been the drops.

I think Dave will still be fine to travel tomorrow, just make sure he has got some water. He should be fine. :D