Paralysed kitten after accident....

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Paralysed kitten after accident....

Post by Meandmymunki »

Anyone had a paralysed kitten before? Little 7 week old came to my rescue Monday morning as owner found her collapsed and couldn't afford to treat. She has some sort of spinal injury, she can toilet herself and has tail movement, but both her back legs don't work at the minute. Vet wants to give her a fortnight to see if she starts to improve, she is on metacam and vetegesic as was very sore initially. They decided against x rays as wouldn't change the treatment which is just cage rest and painkillers. Just interested in the outcomes of any similar kittens?
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Paralysed kitten after accident....

Post by meriad »

no experience what so ever, but the fact that she can toilet herself and does have tail movement sounds a lot more promising that most cases I've read about either here on CC or on FB.

I am surprised though that they haven't done an xray to see exactly what the problem is and you know what area you're dealing with :?
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Bobby's problems started with nerve damage either at birth , or more likely in the womb. He had little, if any feeling in his left, front leg. Reading up about it I found out that in some cases, if caught early enough, physio can make a remarkable difference. We found Bobby too late for that.

I agree with meriad, I'm surprised they have not done an xray. How do you know what the problem is unless you do? If it's bruising then rest might help. If it is a trapped nerve, or something similar, the longer it is left the less chance it has of being put right.

I hope you can find some answers soon.
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Meandmymunki »

Apparently the majority of x rays done in similar circumstances show nothing, and if back broken (which would prob mean pts) she wouldn't have the movement she has. So I'm happy to go with what the vet has said for now and she is slowly improving.
Guess I'm just curious to know if they do fully recover ever......