Visiting dogs and resident cats

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
goldilocks3bears
Frequent Cat Chatter

Visiting dogs and resident cats

Post by goldilocks3bears »

Hi

Need advice and maybe there is someone here that has experience with this :D

I have 2 beautiful cats...14 yrs old Persian and 8 yrs old.
They are house cats. They haven't grown up with dogs and are scared of them

There are 2 small dogs (pincher size and smaller) who live in a sanctuary with their person and many animals including hundreds of cats...so they aren't a problem.

I was asked to look after them for a week at my place and i have concerns coz of my cats.
These dogs have been at me for a night a few times and the cats hid. The one hissed the 1st day and only walked around when the dogs left.
She did come out for her treats and at one time the dogs managed to open the door...she saw them but still ate.

The other cat after a few minutes comes out and sits and stares at them. However, she wont come into my room
The cats have plaves to hide and one room is off limits to the dogs. The cats can froom that room come out though if they want.

Is it really unfair to my cats to try and get them used to dogs that aren't living with us?
I thought to take the dogs again for 2 nights and they will come to work with me...is it a bad way for the cat to get used to them?

Appreciate advice and tips please.

Thank you
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Visiting dogs and resident cats

Post by Mollycat »

I just wouldn't let them meet, if it's not going to be a regular thing. Put dogs in one room and cats in another, preferably with an airlock in between, ie TWO securely closed doors.

Is there a reason why you need to take care of these dogs occasionally, or is there somewhere more suitable they could go?

As for what your own cats think, I would hope you would know your cats well enough to know if they are under more stress than you would want to put them under.