Are we doing right by new cat?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Are we doing right by new cat?

Post by Mollysmummy »

We adopted a nervous 1 year old cat from a sanctuary a week ago. She was originally from a small flat with 9 cats; we don't know any more but we assume she hasn't had a very comfortable first year.

The day we got her she hid in her box for hours, then found another hiding spot. She was constantly vocal all night for the first 3 nights, but seems to be using her litter box and eating fine.

Our problem is that she stays firmly in her house all day whether she's awake or asleep, and then meows constantly all night. She seems to want to be around us in the evening but as she won't come out of her house in the day it's very difficult to use any of her energy, and so she wanders the house meowing all night! We've bought 2 feliway plug ins but they don't seem to have made any difference. She won't let us near her to fuss her, but when she's feeling brave she will roll around near us.

We would like to stop the night meowing and encourage her to come out more during the day but not sure how?
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Are we doing right by new cat?

Post by Kay »

she's not used to being an only cat, I would guess, and is crying at night for her former companions - though if she was free to roam before it may be she is used to being outside hunting all night, and sleeping all day

her body clock will adjust to her new circumstance soon, I would guess - meanwhile a soft furry blanket or toy in her bed might provide some company for her
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I agree with Kay. It's early days - give her a chance to settle in and get used to her new circumstances. If you try to set up a routine of giving her attention in the day, even if it's not working at first, then that should help her to adjust.
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollysmummy »

Thanks guys! We now have a new problem....(who needs children hey!)

We're a week in and for the last 2 days she's had the runs. First time it happened she couldn't get downstairs in time and made a mess upstairs. We didn't tell her off, just cleaned up and kept her downstairs away from the carpet cleaning products on the floor. She's since been using the box as normal but her poo is runny and she meows before she goes so I'm guessing she's got stomach ache.....she was wormed etc shortly before we got her and she has been spayed so I'm assuming it's the fact that she's eating more here than she was getting before and that she's getting proper complete cat food? Her appetite seems fine and she's playing a little thanks to catnip spray!

Is there anything we can do to help her? I don't want to undo all the progress we've made by trying to catch her and put her back in her carrier to go to the vet!
claire_lee
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by claire_lee »

Are you feeding the same food as she had at the place you adopted her from ? It may be a change in diet ?
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollysmummy »

She was from a sanctuary who rely on donations, so she was fed the cheapest they could get or whatever was donated! She was also in with 2 bigger cats and is quite slim so I don't think she's used to having the quality or quantity she's had since she's been with us. She's currently racing around the living room playing with her favourite teaser you so I'm not hugely worried, it's just very messy and she's obviously got a bit of pain as she meows before she goes.

She won't let us anywhere near her but if it doesn't improve in a day or so we will have to attempt to catch her and take her to a vet to check it's nothing else.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Ideally, you should make any changes in diet gradually as a sudden change can upset their tummies quite badly. This is probably what has happened here, but keep an eye on her, and try to feed her bland food that is easy to digest like cooked chicken for a couple of days.
eden_eden
New Cat Chatter

Post by eden_eden »

I had this with my 2 rescues. You need a litter box upstairs and down in case she gets caught short
Minnies_Mum
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Minnies_Mum »

Mollysmummy wrote:We adopted a nervous 1 year old cat from a sanctuary a week ago. She was originally from a small flat with 9 cats; we don't know any more but we assume she hasn't had a very comfortable first year.

The day we got her she hid in her box for hours, then found another hiding spot. She was constantly vocal all night for the first 3 nights, but seems to be using her litter box and eating fine.

Our problem is that she stays firmly in her house all day whether she's awake or asleep, and then meows constantly all night. She seems to want to be around us in the evening but as she won't come out of her house in the day it's very difficult to use any of her energy, and so she wanders the house meowing all night! We've bought 2 feliway plug ins but they don't seem to have made any difference. She won't let us near her to fuss her, but when she's feeling brave she will roll around near us.

We would like to stop the night meowing and encourage her to come out more during the day but not sure how?
Minnie disappeared into the spare room (which makes Chez Steptoe look minimalist) as soon as I got her and it was 2 weeks before she'd come out. well, come out while I was around. Then ping, one evening, she just wandered into the living room as though she owned the place (which she does). Give her time - I suppose that while she might be missing the rest of her colony, she might also be apprehensive of you duffing her over (depending on where she was in the pecking order), so she's testing you out by rolling about in front of you. Next thing you know, you won't be able to move for her sitting on your lap. Well, that's my theory anyway.

Samantha