Cat spooked by workmen

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Cat spooked by workmen

Post by papa cat »

I have had workmen in my flat for two days and my cat has got spooked by them being here.
He has always been wary of strangers so I wasn't surprised that on the first day he disappeared out of the cat flap into the garden although he did come in yesterday when they had gone, and ate his dinner,
Today they were back and he did the same and has stayed out all day and all evening. I put food outside for him which he ate but he won't come in or even come to me when I go outside. Later I managed to entice him with food as far as half way in and half way out of the patio door but he stiil backs away from me. I have had to shut the patio door to go to bed and I have set the cat flap to 'in only' and placed his food on the inside of the patio door so he can see it through the glass in the hope it will tempt him in.
If he comes in during the night he won't be able to get out again. The workmen are due back in the morning and I am not sure whether I should let him out or keep him indoors and if he gets spooked he'll have to hide behind the sofa or similar. Also, if he does come in shouild I keep him in for a few days ?

He's obvously lost his trust in me and in what he regarded as his safe space because of 'intruders' .
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat spooked by workmen

Post by Mollycat »

I wouldn't forcibly keep him in if he feels safer outside but how long is this work going on for? If you do keep him in I would make it one room, preferably far from the noise and where they won't go, and then keep him in for a day or two after they have gone, otherwise he might think this is the new normal and stay out again.

As you know I have a nervous cat and workmen have always been my fear for her, but being an indoor cat she has her bolt holes indoors and once people are gone she always comes out with no lasting effects.

If the work is just a day or two more I would let him go out and come back when he feels it's safe, but if it's a week or more I would be tempted to move him somewhere quiet and secure for the duration. Would it be viable to put him in a cattery so that he can come home to peace once they are done?
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by papa cat »

He came in during the night and was like his former self, he was very pleased to see me and wanted lots of fuss !
This is the last day of work for about a week so I think I'll leave him in the lounge with his food and water and a litter tray for this morning and later in the day when they have finished in the bedroom and need to work in the lounge I'll transfer him to the bedroom as, like you say, I don't want him to think this is the new normal as I have only recently managed to get him to not stay out all day and night (a habit he develpoed during the recent better weather)
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

When I had the bathroom redone a couple of years ago, my biggest concern was how Freyja would cope with it. I had it all planned out, the plumbers could use the back door and the cats could be in the lounge with the door shut, as far away as possible from where the work was being done. So litter trays, food, water, hidey holes were all provided and set up in the lounge. First day they arrived a little earlier than expected and next I know is Freyja is under the bed. As they say, it was a case of best laid plans. I got all the stuff as well as the other two cats into the bedroom while the plumbers were setting up. Second day she took off down the garden and refused to come in. Third day, and onwards I got them all in the bedroom early and accepted that was where they would be while the plumbers were here.

It all went far better than I expected, the work took almost three weeks and each day after the second they all were shut in the bedroom while the plumbers were here and then allowed out during the evening and over night (the plumbers were brilliant in making sure there were no places a cat could get in and under floorboards etc, either rehanging the door or blocking the holes with tool boxes etc.). During some of the quieter times, over lunch etc, i would pop in and see the cats, fuss any that were out and about, ignore them if they were hiding, by the second week, even Freyja had joined the others on the bed and accepted a bit of fuss. She may have been shut in a room and could hear the strangers but she had worked out they didn't come in her room, and she had Saturn and Tiggy for company, niether of whom were bothered by the workmen.

I'm always surprised at how adaptable cats can be, and how quickly they can realise a place is safe if left alone to adjust. I'm sure yours will be fine once he realises that no one is out to harm him.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Ruth you remind me of when we had new carpets laid, the bedroom was easy but the lounge and hallway were a bit tougher. It was only a couple of hours but Molly who I imagined would be under the bed lay on top of it one side of me, Boo (who didn't flinch if you drilled into the wall right above his head while he slept!) the other side and me with my laptop in the middle. Yes they are far more resourceful and intelligent - scared cats are often extremely intelligent and make connections quickly - and figure out the door is closed and everyone they care about is safe and relaxed, so they can relax a bit.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by papa cat »

I think I worked out what he did on the first day he went out and wouldn't come back in at night.
Normally he sleeps all day indoors and goes out at night. I'm guessing he went and made himself comfortable somewhere outdoors and slept all day (which to him was normal, but in a different place) When night time came it was time to hunt and play which he did and his view was possibly " Why should I go indoors, it's playtime?" So, I was worrying over nothing (DOH!!!)

On the third day of work I kept him indoors but ensured he was not disturbed by keeping the door shut, and he slept all day in his usual spot and went out at night.
Mollycat wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:13 am ................ they are far more resourceful and intelligent - scared cats are often extremely intelligent and make connections quickly - and figure out the door is closed and everyone they care about is safe and relaxed, so they can relax a bit.
There will be a few more days of work to come, but not all at once, soI will repeat the procedure then.