Kittens upset tummys

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Kimkoi
New Cat Chatter

Kittens upset tummys

Post by Kimkoi »

Hi All.
I have just found your forum after searching Google about kittens having upset tummies and it is very very smelly, like nothing I have ever experienced in my many decades as a cat owner.
Prada the kittens mum was thrown through my bedroom window onto my bed - it was on the ground floor - by the then owner who said they would be back for her in 2 weeks, this was on the 19th March 2020, then the world was hit by covid so she stayed a lot longer, with the owner insisting he would collect her after all the covid lock downs, well here we are October 2022 and she is my sweet girl, I ended up being her 4th home in 6 months and she came with many probles one of which is a delicate tummy she cannot have fish in prepared cat food but she can cope with freshly cooked fish, she refuses to eat fresh cooked chicken and will only really eat Felix doubly delicious and Go cat chicken and duck biscuits, anything else she just refuses to eat, but she still suffers with her tummy sometimes, all her other issue we are very slowly working through them.
She has had a litter of extremely small kittens, she is also a very slight cat but these kittens are really small in size. At 4 weeks I started to leave wet and dry food down for them, I have to rely on on-line shopping as I am disabled and housebound, I had ordered Felix as good as it looks kitten food as well as Go cat kitten biscuits but the shop substituted the felix with whiskers kitten pouches, I do not like whiskers of any kind as I find it upsets tummies but having no choice it was offered but Prada would not let them wean, I kept trying every day and at 5 weeks the smallest kitten tried the food but refused to eat so started eating the dry food. It took a while but eventually all but one of the kittens started eating Felix kitten as good as it looks after I had it delivered from Pets at home, I also tried them on Purina pro plan kitten turkey and gravy as the kittens tummies seemed to slightly upset with very soft smelly stools.
However they will only eat the Felix and Go cat, 3 of the kittens tummies have improved slightly on firming up but the other 2 are still horrible and they have really smelly tummies both in their tray and with wind.
They seem to be fussy eaters already and really will not eat anything else than Felix wet Go cat dry, is it possible that things will improve as they get older, they are very very active and their small size isn't stopping them doing anything, at the moment 3 of them are due to go to their forever homes over Friday, Saturday and Sunday, I don't want Prada upset with them all going at once but any advice would be so helpful. They are all treated for fleas, roundworm and ear mites as the instructions state.
Thank you in advance
Kimkoi
New Cat Chatter

Re: Kittens upset tummys

Post by Kimkoi »

Hi all.
I thought I would share what I ended up doing to resolve the problem of the kittens upset tummies.
First I took them off of all wet food and kept them on rationed kitten biscuits, I also stopped the goats milk and their mum seemed to understand there was a problem so started to nurse them more.
I did wonder if they were getting some adult food but that wasn't the case but they would eat adult biscuits if they git the chance and one kitten refused to eat anything other than adult cat biscuits, which did cause a few issues but eventually all their tummies have settled down.
I did wonder if it was the wormer that could be upsetting them but I've used this certain kitten worm for over 2 decades with litters of kittens and I have never known kittens to have such upset tummies.
I also think they were premature going by the size of them and although they were late weaning anyway this may also have been a factor to their delicate tummies.
Seeing a litter of kittens with such awful tummies is heartbreaking which is why I asked on here for any suggestions, I wouldn't say I am an expert at caring for cats and kittens but I git my first kitten 45 years ago and I like to make sure I am fairly knowledgeable about animal care and welfare but I have never had a litter of premature kittens before, one of the kittens refused to wean until he was 7 weeks old, the other 4 were starting to wean after 5 weeks when weaning normally starts at 4 weeks.
With me it was trial and error and then slowly introducing the wet food again but one kittens new owner was informed he would only eat adult cat biscuits but every one of the kittens have been given a full bill of health and are all doing well, thankfully.