HELP! Flea and Worm Drop treatment on my cat has made him runaway from me for over a week :(

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
MDGarland
New Cat Chatter

HELP! Flea and Worm Drop treatment on my cat has made him runaway from me for over a week :(

Post by MDGarland »

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience and could lend any advice on how to get my cat back!

I have a 12 year old recue cat who I've had for a year and half. He is very affectionate on his terms but also can be skittish.

I have been applying the flea and worm drops every 3 months from the vet and he would always hate me for about 4 hours.

However this time around, i used both the worm drop and flea drop at the same time to save the hassle and he has since ran away from me, hid and refused to be in the same room with me for over 7 days now!

It's really upsetting, does anyone have any advice on how to win his trust back, he won't let me approach him to give him treats (he is eating still but coming in from the garden eating then leaving).

Thank you
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: HELP! Flea and Worm Drop treatment on my cat has made him runaway from me for over a week :(

Post by Mollycat »

Stop trying, and don't be so anxious. Get yourself back to your normal as soon as possible, because by worrying and I guess trying to bribe him out, you're giving him clear signals that something is wrong. Be normal, ignore the hiding, and show him by example that there is no big deal.

Did the vet OK for the flea and worm treatments to be done together? Some can, some should not.
MDGarland
New Cat Chatter

Re: HELP! Flea and Worm Drop treatment on my cat has made him runaway from me for over a week :(

Post by MDGarland »

Thank you, I will give this a try and just act normal around him. The vet said although it wasnt recomended to use both, there was no psychical harm in doing so, but hoping that with time he'll come around. WIll be switching to tablet form for future for the treatments.