Could a black spot be linked to FORLs?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Could a black spot be linked to FORLs?

Post by Mollycat »

Molly used to have a black spot under her jaw on one side. A bit under 2 years ago she had a dental and two FORLs were extracted. Recently I noticed the black spot has gone. In the words of a certain satirical magazine, are they by any chance related?

The spot seemed like a stain on the skin, it wasn't raised and it wasn't discoloured fur. The FORL in that place was advanced, the gum had long since grown over. The other suspected FORL had a cracked crown, so may not have been one at all.

Does anyone with experience of FORLs in cats remember any discolouration on the outside of the location of the affected tooth/teeth? I can't find anything on the www.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Could a black spot be linked to FORLs?

Post by fjm »

Interesting. Inflammation can certainly cause changes in coat colour and texture in other animals - it happens a lot in poodles and poodle mixes where even a very minor injury can cause a dark patch to grow - so I certainly wouldn't rule it out.