Cat peeing Outside Litter Tray

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
pippacat
Frequent Cat Chatter

Cat peeing Outside Litter Tray

Post by pippacat »

Hi - I'm new to this board. Ive had a tortieshell five year cat who I got from the Cats Protection when she was about 1. She's always been a nervous cat. Recently she's been peeing outside the litter box and seems to be trying to bury it and now she has started peeing on a mat at the bottom of the stairs. I've taken her to the vet who said that she's fine - I'm at my wits end - I've tried feliway etc but nothing seems to help - she's ruined the carpet. Thanks
andrea8411
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: Cat peeing Outside Litter Tray

Post by andrea8411 »

It sounds to me that she is very stressed about something, any changes in the house even the smallest of things?
I had a problem with my cat a while back and after some time I realised I had changed the plug in brand that I had always used to a different smell and he hated it, also there was another cat coming into his area that caused him stress another time.
My friends cat has cystitis and pees outside his litter tray?
Nit sure what else to suggest you do
Good luck with solving this puzzle
eden_eden
New Cat Chatter

Post by eden_eden »

agree, very stressed and worried cat there. Have you read any of Vicky Hall's books about cat behaviour? very enlightening.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Firstly, how clean is the litter tray? Some cats don't like using a soiled tray. It might also be worth getting her a second tray in case the first isn't cleaned out in time for her to use it again.

Second - have you changed the litter, or the cleaning solution you use? She may be objecting to the smell.

But otherwise, I agree, ruling this out, this does sound like stress behaviour. She sounds very unhappy about something, so you need to look at her world from her view point and work out what it is. If you can address the cause, this will probably help her behaviour. Are there new cats on the block, possibly even coming into the house? A new dog next door? New boistrous visitors coming round? etc etc. She's a very unhappy puss right now, so try not to get cross with her, give her more reassurance instead.
pippacat
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by pippacat »

Thanks for all of your comments. Nothing has changed in the house. She has two litter trays which I keep clean, haven't changed the litter. She is an extremely nervous cat and although she has come out of herself a little bit she still doesn't like being handled (which I tend to avoid unless I have to). She goes out sometimes but generally just hangs around the garden area. There have been numerous cats which she has had "dealings" with but nothing new. I thought that letting her out everyday would cut down on the weeing - but only time will tell as it didn't seem to help in the past. I certainly don't get cross with her as I know cats don't do it to get at you. Thanks for all your help.