screaming cat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
sooty123
New Cat Chatter

screaming cat

Post by sooty123 »

Hi
My cat is 4 years old, deaf and cannot jump very well and eats a tiny amount several times a day.
The problem is he screams and screams often during the night and also the day. its so loud the neighbours are complaining.
He was a feral cat who was abandoned my his mum in Spain.
We have brought him home with us but we havent had a good nights sleep for months now.
HELPPPPP
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: screaming cat

Post by Jacks »

I have no experience with deaf cats but it sounds like he's lonely and scared and of course can't hear the sound of his own voice... Was he in shelter with other cats? If he was a kitten I'd suggest maybe some cuddly toys or something at night, but I wonder if he needs a companion? He must have been fostered at some time - could you talk to them about it and how he got on with other cats?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I wondered if he needed company as well, it would be worth looking in to. Do you shut him out of the bedroom?

My old Minnie is going deaf, and the deafer she gets the louder she shouts!
sooty123
New Cat Chatter

Post by sooty123 »

Crewella wrote:I wondered if he needed company as well, it would be worth looking in to. Do you shut him out of the bedroom?

My old Minnie is going deaf, and the deafer she gets the louder she shouts!
No no, he sleeps in our the bed in winter, and wherever he lie i the summer, he,s never alone , he seems to like other cats but they dont like him.they can see he,s got problems.
I had him neutered i Spain but he still seems very frustrated, if I wear my fleecy dressing gown he pummels and humps my arm.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

OK, like Jacks I don't have much experience with deaf cats - bear with us, someone on here will know more. There are usually more people around on week days.
pandorawarlord
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by pandorawarlord »

sooty 123 have poor computer @ moment have e-mailed you
Eliz+Cats
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Eliz+Cats »

Hi, regarding deaf cats crying at night, I've heard other folks say that it can help to leave a light on at night. It can help the cat to feel secure and less disoriented.

I do so sympathise about the night howling/crying, and how it can ruin your sleep. Our tortie does this day and night, but in our case it's because she's getting dementia. The sound is blood-curdling at times and I sometimes worry that our neighbours think we're torturing her! :oops:
sooty123
New Cat Chatter

Post by sooty123 »

Eliz+Cats wrote:Hi, regarding deaf cats crying at night, I've heard other folks say that it can help to leave a light on at night. It can help the cat to feel secure and less disoriented.

I do so sympathise about the night howling/crying, and how it can ruin your sleep. Our tortie does this day and night, but in our case it's because she's getting dementia. The sound is blood-curdling at times and I sometimes worry that our neighbours think we're torturing her! :oops:
HI
You poor thing. actually its during the night and day, i dont really think he wants anything he just likes shouting.
sooty123
New Cat Chatter

Post by sooty123 »

Hi everyone
I like to thank you all for your help, I think I will take him to the vets tomorrow to see what he thinks.
I certainly will try some of your remedies. and keep you informed.
Thanks.xx
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Alice »

Sooty 123
I can imagine how difficult, and stressful this must be for you, but never having had a deaf cat I've no personal experience. Well done for taking him on.

What's his name, by the way?

While waiting for further replies you could try these links.....

http://www.catchat.org/meowing.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.daily-meowing.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You could also try emailing the cat chat behaviourist.....

[email protected]

Have you tried having an energetic play session before bedtime to make sure he's tired and ready to sleep, as well as giving him something to eat just before you go to bed?