Cat not eating

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Nikki C
Frequent Cat Chatter

Cat not eating

Post by Nikki C »

My cat went for a dental clean and scale on friday afternoon under general anaesthetic, he's doing really well apart from the fact that he's not eating.

He's got an appetite, he clearly wants the ham or tuna I'm trying to give him but he just seems to spit it back out again as though he can't swallow it. Has anyone else seen this before?

I'm going to see how he is later in the day and if it's no better take him back to the vet tomorrow evening.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: Cat not eating

Post by Jacks »

Could you try some of the soft cat food - maybe kitten food - for a couple of days, maybe mixing a little water into it? Sounds like he might be sore from the descaling and doesn't want to chew. Fusses to the poor little lad.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Yep, a couple of mine have appreciated pate-type food after a dental, though some haven't been bothered and dived straight into the crunchies. Worth a try, though if he's still struggling to eat in a couple of days I would speak to the vet about it.
Nikki C
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Nikki C »

I've tried him on some whiskas wet food and he's had a little bit of it. He just seems to be struggling to keep the food in his mouth and chew it…bless. At least he's had a little bit though.

Thanks for your responses - I didn't realise that this descaling thing would upset him as much as it has.
Nikki C
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Nikki C »

Also got some baby food and he just turned his nose up and walked away … lol
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

The smell probably put him off! Some cats love baby food, but you have to be careful and some things are not good for cats. x
Nikki C
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Nikki C »

He wasn't impressed with it.
I'm going to take him to the vet tomorrow for a check up, he's still a bit quiet and this not eating thing worries me a bit.
x