Cat doesn't like my smell?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Cat doesn't like my smell?

Post by Mollysmummy »

We adopted a shelter cat 8 days ago; we're getting there with her but she's very nervous. We're getting into a routine and she seems to enjoy playtime, eats and drinks and uses her litter tray fine. Her nighttime crying is getting better every night.

My problem is that during play etc, if she sniffs me she immediately backs off. I'm worried she doesn't like how I smell. She sniffs my slippers/shoes fine, but immediately recoils if she sniffs my hands/fingers. We have a heated clothes airer which is one of her favourite places so it's not my fabric softener, and I don't usually wear perfume.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Cat doesn't like my smell?

Post by Crewella »

Funnily enough, I've just been through the same thing with a foster cat - it turned out that she didn't like the smell of my hand soap. It's worth trying washing your hands with something else, something unperfumed, and seeing if it makes a difference. An old cat of mine used to hate the smell of lavender, which unfortunately I love!
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollysmummy »

Thanks ☺️ I have noticed that she's worse when I've just taken my makeup off so I might try to find an unperfed makeup remover as the smell may be clinging to my skin?

I considered a spray of catnip, but that might just get me bitten!
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollysmummy »

Also, she follows me round like a shadow and loves playtime one minute, the next minute she's terrified of me again! What's that all about?!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I think your little one must be related to my foster cat Teasel! :D

She's fine and enjoying a fuss one minute, then it's like she forgot herself and suddenly panics. It's just confidence, I think. For a while she panicked if my hand went down her back towards her tail, or if my hand moved in an unexpected direction. She's coming along fine, though slowly, now (especially now that I've sussed the soap thing). I'm sure yours will settle down in time.

Cats like to feel in control, so hate the unexpected - especially nervous cats. If you set up little routines so she knows what to expect, that should help her feel more secure.

Catnip perfume ........ there might be a market for that ....... :P
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollysmummy »

Molly is exactly the same, she's enjoying herself then suddenly she's like 'oh no I'm meant to be scared of you!' She doesn't like her back end being touched either, but she's got a huge kink in the none of the end of her tail which doesn't seen to hurt but looks like it must have been trapped at some point poor thing
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Catnip Perfume? I think not! I already get followed up the street by strays - 'there she goes the Cat Magnet'. :lol: