FGS

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

FGS

Post by greenkitty »

Does anyone know if FGS (chronic gingivitis/stomatitis) is contagious or am I just unlucky?

I have 4 cats, Noodle and Tig have already had most of their teeth removed, I took Pip for her boosters yesterday and it looks as though she needs teeth removing too so I'm worried she's going down the same route. I know there's a possible link between FGS and the Calici virus and I have a chronic Calici carrier (Hector), Noodle and Tig both tested positive when their teeth were removed. Ironically although Hector had a couple of teeth removed a few years ago due to cavities he doesn't seem to have any problems with his teeth!

The removal has at least for the time being improved both Noodle and Tig's gums and they are back to a nice healthy pink so I won't hesitate in getting Pip sorted out but I didn't think they could catch it..

Anyone have any experience with this?
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: FGS

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

This gets quite stressful, doesn't it. As you know Edgar tested positive for calicivirus and our vet is keen for the rest of his teeth to be removed (he had 12 out in March). I am reluctant for his canines to be removed, but our vet is quite a stern fellow and very keen on extracting even marginal teeth so I may have a fight on my hands.

Our old girl, Pepsi, came to us 13 months before Edgar and has had two major dentals since she arrived. After the last one our vet decided to test for calicci and that came back positive. He implied that it may be that one had caught it from the other, but I totally dispute that as Pepsi came to us with massive teeth/issues long before she had any contact with Edgar, and Edgar arrived from foster/rescue with a horribly infected mouth - thereby hangs a tale... Neither had been vaccinated before they came to us. I think it is just coincidence that they both had rough times before they came to us and both have it. The timings don't work for catching it one from the other either.

Our other girl, Lou Lou, so far has a perfect little mouth at 10 years old, and she came from Battersea so of course was fully vaccinated before she arrived with us. I think she has very good genes and was excellently cared for before she had to go to rescue, bless her.

When we learned this week that Pepsi also has calici I automatically worried about Lou Lou. If she it is contagious and she is going to get it from anyone it will be Edgar as they have very close contact, mutual grooming etc. But I am fairly confident that she can't get it as the vaccination should cover it if it is contagious.

I haven't really answered your question, Julia, but I'm just musing out loud as this seems to be dominating our lives at the moment.

Fusses to your lovely gang. xx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Grumpy Nellie had all her teeth out before she came to me, so I don't have any history or details and, so far at least, the rest seem OK. Sorry you're both going through this, fusses to both gangs. xx
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

Hector and Noodle were both strays, Tig and Pip were both born in rescue. Unfortunately Hector was never vaccinated, he was obviously owned at some point because he's a friendly boy but he was never well enough to vaccinate when we first adopted him and then we battled for so long to get the cat flu under control that his immune system is now so compromised the vaccination would kill him (vets advice). Because of Hector and the risks to all of them the other 3 are always up to date with theirs.

I know a very high percentage of cats carry the Calici virus, especially those from rescue and breeders but many will shed the virus and go on to have no further problems so I tend to think I've just been unlucky. Hector has been tested 3 times and has always been positive so is now considered a chronic carrier.

Interestingly the vet I saw yesterday said they are seeing an increasing number of cats with lesions on their gums so it's obviously becoming more widespread and more of an issue.