Will our cat become cuddly?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Will our cat become cuddly?

Post by Mollysmummy »

We've had our new rescue cat for 2 weeks now, and although she is definitely more confident than she was when we first got her, she doesn't seem to like touch. She has a 90 degree kink in the end of her tail which we are unaware how she got, so it may be that she was hit or something previously.

I had a cat growing up who just wasn't cuddly at all so I'm aware not all cats loved to be fussed and cuddled. However she's clearly had a pretty rubbish first year of life and I really would like her to be comfortable cuddling with us. I try to stroke her with the stick of her teaser toy to get her used to touch, and she will sniff our feet but she seems scared of hands. Any suggestions/tips?
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Will our cat become cuddly?

Post by KittyWitty »

maybe - maybe not! That's not a question anyone can answer after from time I'm afraid!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

my Tosker was so afraid of me when I first rescued him that he managed to scale a catproof fence, and took up residence in next door's garage

it took me three months to get him into the house, and two more months to touch him - now he spends half his life trying to cuddle me

so 2 weeks is no time at all - don't push her at all - let her come to you - and be aware not all cats like laps, and even more don't like being picked up
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by hgale »

When my late cat Kitten adopted us, it took us 2 YEARS before we could even touch her - she had been dumped into the rain when her previous so called owners moved house without her and she came through the first flap she could find. I dread to think what her first few months of life had been like. She lived semi-wild in our conservatory where we left food and a bed for her.

When she first let mum stroke her, it was memorable for the puzzled look on her face as she purred - I think that may have been the first time in her life she purred after leaving her mum. But since then, up until she died Christmas 2012 at the age of 19 she was the most loving cat you could wish for, always asking for fuss, nuzzles and love - and chatting to us too! Some cats like fuss and love, some don't and some come round to the idea! As Kay says, just let your cat dictate what happens.

Please let us know how you get on.

Helen
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

As has been said, it really is a matter of giving her time - as she becomes less afraid you'll gradually get to find out what she likes and doesn't like. I have cats who arrived as terrified ex-strays and have turned into complete cuddle monsters, and cats who have been loved all their lives and like a fuss but hate being picked up or held in any way, and I tend to respect their feelings.

By the sounds of it, you're doing fine - just keep on as you are. :)
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollysmummy »

Thanks everyone. She actually jumped into my lap for about 5 seconds last night, I think she thought her teaser got was up with me but it's all progress!